Curious about similar heart rates

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by brieh, Aug 20, 2009.

1. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I'm on bedrest and bored so please humour me :) I know that there are lots of old wives tales out there regarding low vs high / boy vs girl heart rates. That, I'm not sure I believe. But I've been having lots of non stress testing and I've noticed the babies resting rates are often with in a beat or two of each other. We don't know the sexes and want to be suprised but its fun to guess so I am wondering if maybe they are the same sex. Anyone with same sex fraternals noticed their heart rates to be very similar??

2. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Mine were b/g and their heart rates were VERY different. One was always high, and one was always lower. For all the tests I had they never once got close to each other. So maybe?

3. garden2009

garden2009 Well-Known Member

So exciting that you aren't finding out! We didn't find out with our first and it made the birth experience so much more exciting. This time though, I knew we could never resist with all of the U/S with twins. The heart rates theories have been way off for us... WIth my son's pg, his heart rate was high the entire time. I swore he was going to be a girl. :) This time, our little girl's heart rate is always around 140 and the little boy's heart rate is always around 150.

Have fun waiting in suspense!

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My personal theory is in the beginning it doesn't work but about half way through it has always been true with mine. (I have two boys/two girls). In the beginning I was pg with quads and their heart rates were always in the 140's for all. At my 18 week sono when I just had twins my girls was 155 and my son was 130. At that point I had been told two boys so I joked with her that baby b had to be a girl with that high heart rate, sure enough she is! I know other people have had the opposite be true but for me high has always meant girl and low has been boy!

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

With my son, his HR was always very high, and my OB swore up and down he was a she. Well he is very much a boy. With the twins, I have one that has a very high HR and one with a much slower HR, and they are both boys. So who knows.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't find out with our twinnos either:) It is truly amazing! With our boys their heart rates were always very similar hanging out between the 140s and 150s.....so it could be the same sex in there:)

7. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Mine have stayed very close to each other except in the one ultrasound where we found out what the sex was. Every other u/s has been pretty close with in a few bpm and im having b/g twins

8. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

I'm carrying 2 girls, and their heart rates are usually very similar, but if you went by the old wives tales, they would be boys since their heart rates are usually below 150 :p

9. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input! It seems it can go either way. I don't care what they are, but it would be nice to have b/g and then our family would be complete. But I'll take big, strong, healthy whatevers :)

10. IVF TWINS

IVF TWINS Well-Known Member

Ours are always with in a beat or two of each other. Baby A was 135 & Baby B was 136 at our u/s lat week. Both girls! :)

11. Kayla_Pray22

Kayla_Pray22 Well-Known Member

Mine are both boys and their heart rates usually vary very much! If the old wives tale about heart rates were true...id be havng two girls lol

12. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

my girls were always very different, sometimes up to 20 beats difference! I was convinced for a while it was a boy/girl but they are both definitely girls!

13. leahkatebrown

leahkatebrown Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite of the old wives' tale too...my boy's heartbeat has always been higher than the girl's! They're always pretty close but his is always higher. My (male) dr jokingly says it's because she stresses him out, haha.

14. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

Mine are boy/girl twins.. and their HB's were always similar during pregnancy. I was always worried that they were getting the same baby twice.

15. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

When I was in the hospital - for 8 weeks - before my boys were born, I was monitored a lot. I watched those heartbeats like a hawk, and I can tell you that my boys' heartbeats went everywhere. I saw from 90's (during a scary decel one of my boys had) to 180's (during a crazy bradychardia episode). They didn't stay the same at all, and each boy's hb would be totally different.

For what it's worth I'll tell you something my nurses told me - their heartrates should move all over and not be the same - they have periods of rest and activity just like we do. If your baby's hb's are similar at all your appointments, it is probably just b/c they happen to be sleeping/active at those times. :)

Either way - congratulations!!!! And how fun to *not* find out. We went that route with our daughter and it was wonderful. :) It didn't work out to do that with our boys, but I would have. :)