Crossing the midline? ***Update

Discussion in 'General' started by cheezewhiz24, Oct 2, 2015.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sons' teacher is concerned that he isn't crossing the midline. She chatted with the OT who asked some questions about my boy and he didn't fare super well.

His well check is in a couple of weeks and we'll bring it up then, but does anybody have any experience/knowledge about this?

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

3. cheezewhiz24

Thank you. I'll be aiming for an evaluation with OT and possibly a neurologist, depending on results.

I've been looking at some sites, (including the link) and he's an active kid- climbs trees, runs everywhere, etc. But his handwriting is terrible, so maybe it's more fine motor for him?

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Running and climbing are bilateral activities.  How does he do swinging a bat?  Transferring a ball to throw, or do racket sports that require one side to cross the other.  It may be that he has figured out to compensate in many activities.  Good luck!

5. cheezewhiz24

Hmm, I don't know. We haven't explored baseball or tennis, yet.

I will update you after the doctor appointment, though.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bug N Cheeks

Bug N Cheeks Member

Hope it goes well, Michelle :) We'll keep you and your boys in our prayers.

7. cheezewhiz24

Thought I would update this.

The family doctor wanted to start with an eye exam, which was Saturday.

They both need reading glasses.

The eye doctor says we should get progressive bifocals because kids don't take off/out on glasses when they are supposed to.

Has anybody else heard of this?

Another question: any tips on where to buy super durable, yet affordable glasses? Sebastian has broken both of my last pairs of glasses and those are mostly on my head!

8. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My Sarah just had readers for 3 years (3-5th grades).  She did just fine at taking them off when not reading or doing close-up work.  Now she no longer needs any correction. She was getting headaches when she read so I wasn't surprised that she needed something.

I don't know much about mid-line crossing and glasses.  I would think it would more depend on the child as to whether bifocals or readers would work better.  Even as compliant as Sarah tends to be, knowing that the glasses were only going to be on for a limited time was important to her.

Marissa

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All three of my kids are in glasses and they only come off when sleeping. We actually got these latest pairs at Walmart and they have lasted the longest. Ever. They used to get the metal frames at a local eye shop and I was in there too often with fixing the nose pieces, the frames being bent, etc. My boys have had theirs for two years with not one issue. Annabella broke hers (gym class bumping heads), 4 days before the one year warranty was up. Phew! They are plastic, with no nose pieces, transition glasses.

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My daughter had reading glasses.  The biggest issue we have had with them is finding a case that is hard enough.  She keeps them on her desk, and last year they kept on getting knocked off.     She was right on the cusp of not needing them, but since she was complaining the eye dr recommended she get them.  She also has a slight astigmatism and the glasses help a lot.

11. cheezewhiz24

So yesterday I checked out Costco and they'd be great... If they took my insurance. I'm going to see if the insurance company will do reimbursement. Then we went to Walmart and the woman there offered a second opinion on kids actually wearing bifocals. She suggested we just do reading glasses. So that's where I'm going to start. Walmart doesn't take our insurance, either, but they have $39 glasses and a 1 year warranty. Any bets on how many times Sebastian makes use of the warranty? :lol:

1 person likes this.
  12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We pay out of pocket at Walmart. Three kids. Plus sport goggles lol. Like I said, my boys have had theirs for two years, and never broke. Still. I believe they are Preskool brand lol. I would recommend paying the extra $$ for transition lenses (if need them all the time). I always felt bad my kids couldn't have sunglasses lol.

13. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:lol: I have not made it through an entire warranty period for anything for nearly 7 years now.

Also, possibly dumb question, but is the eyesight related to the midline crossing? I've never really heard about this before. If you're curious about baseball, try out the batting cages. 

14. cheezewhiz24

The teacher & OT recommended we get both checked out as an either/or, I think. Basically the OT was making an educated guess based on 2nd hand info from the teacher.

15. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

One of mine just got reading glasses this year.  He is just on the edge of needing them.  He was showing symptoms which is why they went ahead and prescribed.  They are only for near work which causes some problems.  Distance is actually blurry with the glasses on so I may switch him to progressives.  Its hard to take them on and off constantly.  He needs to be able to copy from the board or read the board while also doing close work.  Taking them on and off to do so is a bit absurd.  Currently he looks over the glasses.  It bugs him a lot.  He would rather put them on and forget it which he could with bifocals. 

His twin has had glasses since he was 2.  He has to wear them all the time and it is sooooo much easier.  Puts them on first thing in the morning and takes them off at night.  No messing with not having them when he needs to read.  He is so severely farsighted that he needs them all the time.  He loves wearing glasses.

We use the warranty every single year.  Last pair we used to multiple times.  We don't have to pay extra for it were we go for glasses.  We do pay a small co-pay.