crib tents

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debfitz, Aug 16, 2009.

1. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

I will probably be needing a crib tent soon. My cribs, however, have the flat, not slotted backboards on them. Will the crib tent still fit our cribs? Any suggestions for type or brand for those of you who have used them? Thanks!

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

We have the same types of cribs, and I know there are people on here that rigged them to get the Crib tents to work. I didn't feel comfortable doing that because of safetly issues. I also didn't want to spend that kind of $$ on something that was not absolutely necessary. So once my girls starting climbing out of their cribs we went to Toddler beds at 21 months. We have had no problems since the transition and my girls actually go down quicker and sleep better. Good Luck!!

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Crib tents won't work with a solid back piece. We had the same problem, as well as uneven posts (the back was taller than the front). I wasn't ready for big kid beds at 17 months, so we bought them new cribs and crib tents for Christmas. For us, it has been the best possible decision we could have made. The boys love their crib tents and I love knowing they are 100% safe - not getting into things in their room, not falling out of the crib. :good:

Our new cribs are these Graco ones. You want one that has four even corners (the sides can be taller if you want) and you want slats on the two long sides.

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who "rigged them up". The back on our cribs isn't a solid piece but it's a lot higher than the front and curved enough that I couldn't use it. Instead, I used the side straps to support the back. I have photos if you want to see how it worked. My boys would hold onto the supports and swing like monkeys so I know my installation was able to support 30 pounds of swinging child. Heck, it supported 60 pounds one day but one of the poles broke (that was when we switched to beds).

My boys were 15 months when they started climbing out and clearly not ready for the freedom of regular beds. The Cozy II kept them in their cribs until 3. They LOVED their tents and asked me to put them back a number of times after I'd taken them down. As strange as it sounds, they liked being zipped in at night -- I think it felt secure or something. I tried to wean them down when they turned 3 by leaving the door open but they would close it themselves.

ETA: the original Cozy cannot be installed the way I installed the Cozy II so you'd have to get the more expensive, full-enclosure model.

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Ours has higher sides and we rigged it too. It has worked perfectly. We have had the crib tents for about a year now.

pic

6. debfitz

Thanks! Ours have the high backs, so I may be able to rig it too. I have a feeling dd will be climbing out very soon. I would love to see some pics if you can..anything would help!
    -Thanks!

Debbie

7. debid

debid Well-Known Member

8. debfitz

Thanks for posting these pics. My crib back is not slotted at all. I don't know if they will work. I may just get one and try to rig it like yours..nice work btw!

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell but the tents aren't actually attached to the slats in the back. I did do it at first but then after washing them a couple of times, I was tired and it was bedtime when I was putting them back on so I skipped it and they worked the same without.