Creative solutions?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Leighann, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I was thinking about the little things DH and I do to make things run smoother for us and the girlies. So I figured it would be nice to compile some of them since its probably a lot different than things you did during the first year.

I'll start, and I must give credit to my DH for this one ;)

We were staying in a hotel for several days. While we had a fridge, we didn't have a microwave so how did DH take the chill off of bedtime milk sippies given that our sippies are insulated to keep the milk cold? He filled up the hotel glasses with hot water repeatedly, dumped out the water, and the glass was hot, then he poured the milk into the glass, let it warm up a bit, and then transferred it to the sippy. Made bedtime milk perfect for the girls :)

Next?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Great idea, Leighann!

Since it is increasingly difficult to keep ours still during a diaper change, we will give either one of them a book or a toy to keep them still and occupied during a change. Makes things go much smoother!

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Since one of my DDs loves to play with the remote controls, we gave her an old remote without batteries and she couldn't be happier! Although she walks around trying to turn on the TV and can't understand why it doesn't work :D

4. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

My girls love to look at pictures and usually want to hold the picture frames themselves. Once they have a hold they usually don't want to let go. So I made them each a photo album using one of those $1 plastic/vinyl albums that hold 4x6 photos and put a a bunch of pictures in their including pictures of family they don't get to see often. They love to go thru them and look at the pictures. This way I don't worry about them ruining the pictures or running with a glass album or having to try and taking it away. They love having their own little photo books.

5. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

I do something similar. I buy clear shelf lining, the adhesive kind,and laminate family pictures. That way the kids can maul them, kiss them, and drag them about. They love it.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always keep a pack of teddy grahams in the car for in case they get fussy. I tried crackers but they are so crummy they left the car seats a mess. Teddy grahams or goldfish are a perfect size for that.

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I was looking at my old formula container (the ones that have 3 separate sections to put formula when out on the town) and I decided to use them now for snacks. I put cherrios, wheat PUffs, and gold fish in them. This way I just turn the top and open it up to put a few on their trays. Saves me from getting the box of cereal out each time. Great for going out.

I often put a booster chair (the ones that attach to your kitchen chairs) and put it in the car. When at the grocery store, one is inside the booster in the grocery cart, and the other is in the child seat of the grocery cart. I have a bag that is one of those re-usable grocery bags but it has a zipper top, so I can put a few groceries in there without hands getting into it. Otherwise I had them some sort of grocery item and they chew the heck out of it. (package of cheese was not a good idea).

Diaper changes I am presently giving them an empty wipes package, or a clean diaper, or a wipe to play with.

I have some Lysol wipes in a clearly marked "not for baby" wipes container in my diaper bag, I use this for grocery cart handles, or some highchairs, etc.

Heather

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Leighann @ Apr 1 2009, 09:29 AM) [snapback]1253801[/snapback]
    Since one of my DDs loves to play with the remote controls, we gave her an old remote without batteries and she couldn't be happier! Although she walks around trying to turn on the TV and can't understand why it doesn't work :D

You know-that doesn't work over here! We take the batteries out of the remote-and they FLIP out! They get SOOO mad!!! How do they freakin know the difference?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!???!?

9. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Apr 1 2009, 08:29 AM) [snapback]1253801[/snapback]

We did the exact same thing! Now the tv remote has lost interest and the Wii remotes are the fun toy...

DH recently discovered that Hannah enjoys playing with empty paper towel tubes. It's a nice distraction when she doesn't want her diaper changed or to get dressed.