Creative ideas for breakfast?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by smiley7, Jan 28, 2011.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

KNock on wood, my kids are good eaters!!! I have been giving them infant cereals, diced fresh fruit and a pancake for quite a while now. They like it and eat it. Sometimes I switch in an infant cereal bar and they LOVE those. I realize I could make them eggs and such but just wanted to ask what you all were feeding your babes to breakfast.

Most days my kids are SHOVING food in. I am honestly surprised they haven't blown up :)

I cant' complain they have been good but I still feel tired and wonder if things will ever get really easy??!!! I am starting back at work in 2 weeks (2 days/week) and I cannot wait! I say that but deep down I miss them already ;)

2. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

My kids like oatmeal with granola mixed in, bananas, peanut butter toast, yogurt, waffles, etc....my daughter loves nutrigrain bars so much she claps her hands and cheers everytime she gets one (and they are cheaper than the baby fruit bars)

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys get cereal, fruit, and a pancake. I would love to give them things like toast, waffles, etc., but we are still not sure they are over their soy allergy, so I've kept things a bit limited still. We previously had problems with eggs and milk - they are on milk now, but we're not sure about eggs. I plan to try those this week and see how they do.

And about the being tired, I totally get that! I started grad school again (part time - 2 classes). It is SO nice to get out of the house and have time to be something other than a mommy. I love my boys, but the "me" time is nice (not to mention using my brain more again and socializing with adults!). It is a balancing act some days to get everything done, but so far I am managing.

4. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

We have made the switch from infant cereal to normal oatmeal(the quaker fruit&cream ones) My two love eggs with just a very light layer of ketchup. We have also done french toast both homemade and those yummy frozen sticks! They love sausages too. I know this isn't very creative but just some other suggestions, really we rotate between oatmeal, pancakes, french toast and eggs.

5. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

6. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

I have a quesadilla maker and my boys love them. I'll make ham, egg and cheese for them. Cut it like a pizza and they fed themselves.

7. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

Hi - that is so lucky that your kids are good eaters. Not sure that any of what I feed my kids for breakfast is creative <_< but here goes: yoghurt (they started to spoon it themselves right out of the container around 15 months which is really great so I didn't have to help anymore), french toast, and regular adult type cereal - my kids LOVE those new mini wheat (2 x smaller than the regular size - they ask for 'wheats' all the time but before that they loved cheerios in milk. For a while at around 14 months the loved cottage cheese mixed with fruit. They also love apples with peanut butter, & sliced banana for breakfast.

Yes, after a year it does get easier (my kids are now 21 months) and I can see a huge difference now but I agree that it is still so tiring. I still have days where I feel so exhausted that I feel like I won't make it to get them down to bed! But somehow I always do. I work part time but I have to admit (guiltily) that I love those days. Time to drink a coffee and eat my lunch on my own! Yay. Of course then I have Mom's guilt but the truth is that my kids love their daycare too so maybe they like a change from Mommy too.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

For breakfast, we usually do cereal, fruit, and pancakes. I would love to give them things like toast, waffles, etc., but we aren't sure they have totally outgrown their soy intolerance yet, so we have to be very careful. Our boys have been starving, too. I gave them more food today than they have ever had and they ate it ALL. I don't know where they put it all.

And I totally hear you on the feeling tired! I started back to grad school a couple of weeks ago (part-time, 2 classes). I love my boys, but it is really, really nice to do something other than mommy stuff (not to mention socializing with other adults and using my brain again!). It is really tiring keeping up with two toddlers for sure.

9. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

At 12 months I was starting to give my guys more and more finger foods for breakfast, but also still feeding them infant cereal with yogurt and avocado mixed in (my guys were super tiny and I was trying to fatten them up :)). We started with Cheerios, Nutrigrain bars chopped up finely, diced fruit, and gradually added in bits of pancakes, waffles, french toast, chopped ham and chopped sausages. My guys were weird in that they didn't like scrambled eggs for a long time, but we kept offering and now they love them. I still haven't gotten them to like toast though. :unknw:

Closer to 2 we started giving them cereal bowls with milk (a HUGE mess at first!) and also small pieces of bagel and cream cheese.

Hope this helps! :)

10. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

All our breakfast options include cold cereal (cheerios or fruit loops), toast with butter or peanut butter, or a pancake w/ syrup. applesauce or yogurt, sometimes a cereal bar. Mini blueberry or banana muffins, and always a piece of fruit, apples or bananas.

15 month old twins.

11. birdsong00

birdsong00 Well-Known Member

I know someone has already mentioned french toast but I thought I would add that they freeze great!! I only have time to make french toast on the weekends so I make a lot and freeze it. Then we just pop it in the toaster when they are ready to eat.

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

This is what I do with french toast, pancakes *and* waffles! I make extra huge batches on weekends and freeze to use during the week. It's super fast, easy, and cheap!! :good:

13. angieb1979

angieb1979 Well-Known Member

My girls absolutely love the Bob Evan's breakfast bowls... they probably aren't that great for them but they love them and they are quick and easy when I don't feel like getting out the pots and pans :)

14. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

We are not very creative but I have picky eaters so we go with what works. ;) they eat dry banana nut cheerios, toast and jam and a nutrigrain bar. DS likes the frozen pancakes with a bit of syrup but dd hates them (and she's the less picky eater so go figure lol) but he won't eat the homemade ones lol. They also love pumpkin bread (kraft low fat recipe with a cream cheese layer). Weelicious.com has some good recipes but my picky eaters didn't really take to those either but I know lots of others have. All 3 of my youngest hate eggs unfortunately. :(

As for it getting easier, we aren't there yet. But then again mine are quite behind and aren't walking or talking really yet so once that happens I think things may get a bit easier. Getting out of the house will also at least help your sanity in some ways too, even if it is for work. I am going back in september and am kind of starting to look forward to it in a way too.

15. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

We do all of the above. We do cereal bars, but use the ones from Trader Joe's or the orgainc 365 brand from whole foods. Both of these brands are made w/o high fructose corn syrup and have less preseratives.

I love the quadilla Idea w/ putting eggs and cheese. Never thought of that!