Crashing your party to get some advice

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by harryjacksmom, Dec 3, 2007.

1. harryjacksmom

harryjacksmom Well-Known Member

We adopted a family for Christmas - twin 8yo girls whose mother has cancer :(

I've gotten some clothes, a cool princess multi-game and a few little crafty things. Their mom says they are super easy, like everything, etc. They did say Build-a-Bear would be their dream, so we're doing GCs for that, but I was wondering if you ladies had any other 'must have' ideas. TIA for any suggestions - we'd like to make their holidays especially wonderful but don't know a lot about young girl wishes :pardon:

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Anything High School Mucsical or High School Musical 2 would be great! You might want to get them a game or two that they can play together.

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Don't have any advice on the girls. I am clueless in that department!! :rotflmbo: Just wanted to say hi Cyndi!!!! :D

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

My DD is 7.5 and I have to say this is one of the hardest years to shop for her. On the one hand she is still a little girl and wants things like Barbies and stuffed animals, but on the other hand she wants a guitar (much more grown up). I am having a hard time trying to decide whether to get her the "little kid" stuff that she may lose interest in in the next 6mos or go with the grown up stuff and admit she isn't my baby anymore :cray: . She likes playing with make-up (only get's to do this at grandma's house as mommy doesn't allow it here), likes playing games like Candyland still, wants anything with Hanna Montana on it, loves to play dress up with her brothers, and still likes to color. I would find a board game they can play with each other and maybe with their mom while she is being treated. I think they have games like Trivial Pursuit Jr editions that would be cool. I will probably be getting something like that for DD this year. I know this probably didn't help much, but like I said this is just the cusp between little girl and tween and it is hard to know where on the line these girls fall.

5. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I was gonna say High School Musical stuff and/or Hannah Montana stuff. There's plenty out there, too. I just bought a HSM dance mat at Costco yesterday. It was only $19. Those are fun interactive play.

6. harryjacksmom

harryjacksmom Well-Known Member

Thanx, ladies :clapping: Hi Kim, and thanx Misty, it's probably more of a treat for us than anything, but we are hoping to help!

Jenn- I know exactly what you mean about that cusp :( I found these cute VW Beetles for Barbie and snapped them up since Harry is a VW nut! Then I met a friend for lunch who said it's probably too young ?? I'll let DH be the guide on that, tho he'll probably nix the idea.

I had seen all the HM and HSM stuff, but wasn't really sure. That dance mat sounds great, Katheryn - I was just at Costco twice last week, but didn't think to look for that sort of stuff there :pardon: I may add it to my list of errands tomorrow - I bet their mom would love to see them dancing around :a_smil09: . Wonder if they have the players they would need, tho? Hmmm....

Thanx for all the great ideas! We're hoping to take it over this weekend, let them think the few boring things they open are it, then give their mom fun stuff for Santa to bring. My mom and aunt are also chipping in some GCs for the mom, and I'm going to try to force her to use them for something special for herself. We're checking with the chemo places to see if they have any associated service that might be helpful as she recovers from this tough week. It really makes you thankful!

7. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Cyndi, the mat hooks up to a regular TV. It's not too complicated to figure out. Well, I've never done it, but ALL my kids can! :umm:

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I am a teacher and Hannah Montana seems to be all the rage this year. I am sure you can't go wrong with that.