Cotton Training Pants

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bruleeloop-TS, Mar 5, 2010.

1. bruleeloop-TS

bruleeloop-TS Member

My boys will be 3 in June and we have been potty training off and on since September. It seems like they are into sitting on the potty for a week or two and then they just flat out refuse to sit. Then we take a break for a few weeks. We are on round #3 at this point. I think part of our problem is the disposable training pants. They are basically diapers. Friends have suggested cotton training pants but I am worried about the mess. (These friends never potty trained twins!)

They make cotton training pants with waterproof liners or outsides. There are several brands available. I bought a pair of the Gerber pants with the plastic outside and they didn't seem comfortable. Has anyone tried Kushies or Bummis?

Thanks in advance,
    Cindy

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I had some Kushies. I used them at first when we went out (for my first trained DD). But honestly, for my stubborn second daughter to train, those were not any different to her than a Pull up. I dreaded the mess of wearing regular underwear, but it was not so bad. It took a 4-day boot camp weekend of just underwear, except overnight, to train my second twin. Then she was fine to wear pull ups, which she had to do for about 3 weeks at school before she could come in underwear. But once both of them "got" the whole potty thing, it did not matter if they were wearing underwear or pull ups, they used the potty and didn't go in their pants.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I bought a few pairs but never used them. They used the potty sporadically starting around age 2, but I kept them in diapers until they wanted to do all their business in the potty (around age 3), and at that point, they rarely had accidents.

The only reason I bought the cloth ones was so that if they did have an accident when we were out of the house during those first few days in underwear, it hopefully wouldn't make quite such a mess. But we never even had a need for them.

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

We never used anything like that so I can't really help. We PT bare bottom. It was a mess especially in the beginning, but it only took a couple of days for them to catch on.

Good Luck!!!

5. Username

Username Well-Known Member

I use the thick cotton gerber training underwear, but I'm coming from a cloth diapering perspective.

I like them because if they do have an accident while out and about it doesn't get to the floor but is absorbed by the underwear, their pants and socks. (usually :FIFblush: ) Since I'm not doing a regular load of diapers I just rinse the pee out by hand and then wash with the regular laundry.

If we do have a poop accident then I dump it in the toilet and throw it in the diaper pail. Then for a week or so I'll throw pee accidents in with that and do a regular diaper load. Although I will admit to tossing a couple pairs just to skip the trouble. Hey- these are my last kids and I doubt anyone will want my hand me down (after 4 kids) training underwear. :laughing: And if they do I guess I could splurge the $5 and buy them a new package! :ibiggrin:

6. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'm using stellar transitions for daytime, because regular training underware didn't come small enough for my two. I made those with their pattern. You can buy them though. There are other more trim training pants out there than the Gerber pants. I will only use those at home.I just bought some cloth all in one diapers for night time and will probably use them while out and about. They are trim enough for under their clothes. My guys are so tiny and are waking up still 3 times a night to go to the bathroom. (I feel like I have infants still) At least they don't typically have an accident at night. But I'd rather change a cloth diaper if need be than bedding.

Mine aren't having poopy accidents anymore. They trained that way over a year ago. We have good days when we go for days without any accidents and then we have bad days when they have 3 in a day. With how small they are, I'm not pushing it. The disposables weren't cutting it, they weren't getting the idea that they were actually wet. The cloth has helped.

7. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

Potty training was going nowhere when I still had my boys in Pull-Ups, but we really started to see results when we switched to a combo of underpants/cotton training pants. I had Bummis, and I used them whenever we were out of the house - it allowed us to keep to our usual routines like grocery shopping, library storytime, playdates, etc. without me worrying that they'd make a huge puddle on the floor, but it still allowed them to get wet and uncomfortable enough to know they'd had an accident - their pants would also get wet, which would let me know they had an accident. While I liked the Bummis (I'm told they hold a lot more than the Gerber ones), I wish I had bought ones with snapping sides instead - when they have a poop accident in pull-up training pants it can get very messy having to take the training pants off. I eventually did buy some Starbunz (http://www.starbunz.com/pages/learners.php), which are side-snapping, stuffable training pants, though by the time I had them my boys were pretty much trained and I hardly ended up using them.

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

For daytime training we used the cotton training pants with just the rubber/vinyl liners over them. At night time we used the cotton training pants and the thicker cotton lined pants you were talking about. We used the Gerber ones from Target because that is all I could find around here. I thought they ran small and looked uncomfortable, so we went up to the 4T size and those seemed to fit better.

9. bruleeloop-TS

bruleeloop-TS Member

Thank you all for your advice. I really think my boys are not completely ready. They have no problem with having a dirty behind. I even tried cotton training pants one day and Eddie didn't even realize he was wet. He was too busy. I'll keep looking around for the best solution!

10. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in that I just bought some Kushies and they seem to work well. However, they do run a bit small, so I have to buy a set of Mediums for my slightly larger son (28 lbs but very solidly built)

11. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We bought the regular Gerber cotton training pants. They have them in white and in boy/girl patterns. They aren't waterproof, but they do seem comfy, and the kids love them. PT isn't working great for us now, but I do like this product. I saw in the Hanna Anderson catalog that they also have cotton training pants, but I don't know what would make them worth the added price as opposed to Gerber.