Corrected age and development

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mamammbs2, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mamammbs2

mamammbs2 Well-Known Member

Hello Ladies,
    My babes were 4 weeks early and just turned 6 weeks. So I guess I am a little confused on the corrected age thing. Do you treat them like and expect behavior of a 6 week old or that of a 2 week old (their corrected age)? Not sure if I am understanding the corrected age thing. Need advice from experienced mommies. Thanks.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls were born much earlier than your LO's, but I have always heard and read that you go by their actual age first, and if they are not meeting their milestones appropriately then you use their adjusted age. Does that makes sense?

3. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Apr 2 2009, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1255737[/snapback]
    My girls were born much earlier than your LO's, but I have always heard and read that you go by their actual age first, and if they are not meeting their milestones appropriately then you use their adjusted age. Does that makes sense?

My 2 are 4 wks prem and i was told to use the adjusted age for sleeping and eating. Mine were low birthweights though and i'm based in the uk not sure how it differs? xx

4. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

My girls were born 7.5 weeks early, so I usually use their adjusted age for certain milestone developments, and especially in the early months, I used their adjusted age for weight and height. I've learned that they will do things for their actual age, and there are certain things they will do for their adjusted age. It's difficult, but go with the flow...and I found myself comparing my babies to those full term single babies...not a good thing. No need to compare--just focus on the health and well being of your kids.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

My kids were almost 5 weeks early and we never used their adjusted age for anything. They have always developed right on track if not ahead.

6. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 36W.

Adjusted age is not used after 35 weeks. (some docs adjust at 35 some only adjust at 34 and younger) When we look at children's development, we hope to see them caught up to their actual age in all areas by age 3.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine were also born at 36 weeks, and have never been considered anything other than their birth age.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Apr 2 2009, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1255737[/snapback]
    but I have always heard and read that you go by their actual age first, and if they are not meeting their milestones appropriately then you use their adjusted age.

Mine were 8 weeks early and we used the same idea as Kyrstyn. The smile took forever to come, but everything else they did actual age. But if they hadnt we had 2 months "in the rears" to give them to meet the milestone.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(anicakes @ Apr 2 2009, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1255846[/snapback]
    My girls were born 7.5 weeks early, so I usually use their adjusted age for certain milestone developments, and especially in the early months, I used their adjusted age for weight and height. I've learned that they will do things for their actual age, and there are certain things they will do for their adjusted age. It's difficult, but go with the flow...and I found myself comparing my babies to those full term single babies...not a good thing. No need to compare--just focus on the health and well being of your kids.

Very well said! I had 33 weekers and for every physical milestone they hit at their adjusted age. For feeding, our pedi was very cautious and wanted to go by adjusted age too. She normally told people to start trying solids at 4 months and we did it at the end of 6 months.

10. laurenlantz

laurenlantz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure with your babies being born 4 weeks early, but I would assume they are still considered preemies. Mine were born 11.5 weeks early. Corrected age is the age that they would have been born according to your due date. Chronological age or actual age is their birthdate. For instance, my girls turned 7 months old because they were born on September 1. However, their adjusted/corrected age is only 4.5 months. All of their developmental skills go by their adjusted age. They should be performing at a level the same as that of a baby born near your due date. Hope that helps!

11. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(laurenlantz @ Apr 2 2009, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1256498[/snapback]
    I'm not sure with your babies being born 4 weeks early, but I would assume they are still considered preemies.

no, they are not considered premies at 36 weeks. Adjustment is at the doc's judgement adn usually doesn't happen until 35W or less.

12. rumbo

rumbo Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 36 weeks and our pediatrician looks at their weight and height based on their adjusted age. In my eyes I feel like they are right on par for their actual age though.

13. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

My boys seem to hit most milestones close to their adjusted ages.