Cord blood banking?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TaraDVM, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TaraDVM

TaraDVM Member

Has anyone done the cord blood banking for their twins?

2. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

We did. My husband's father passed away from leukemia, so we were interested in this. We went with Family Cord, as they had the best twin discount. I liked them. Let me know if you want a referral -- I think one or both of us would get a free year of storage that way.

3. Tier1Terrier

Tier1Terrier Active Member

This is being pitched to us to by the doctor's offices. I haven't quite yet bought into how well the science has developed. There seems to be a lot of 'possible in the future' type anecdotal stuff out there, but hard proven science for currently FDA approved treatments with strong results I haven't seen yet. I'm curious to know what others have to say though as we still have a few months till we're due.

4. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

I banked cord blood with viacord for my three year old and cord blood and tissue for the 4 month old twins. It is expensive, but I really believe it to be worth it. Maybe now, but even more so in the future!

I am a vet and there isn't as much red tape to get FDA approval for our companion animals so we have been using stem cells for various different treatments (mostly arthritis) and the science is really exploding! Injecting stem cells into the knees of goats actually caused them to build new cartilage! Truly groundbreaking!

In our children's lifetime who knows what will be available with their cord blood. I hope to never use it though! However, my only concern is cord blood stem cells may end up being unnecessary. We are using stem cells collected from fat and so far so good. But I don't think this is available yet in human medicine.

5. TaraDVM

TaraDVM Member

Thanks for your posts....I think I'm a little late to schedule something anyway....my twins are basically due any day through our gestational carrier. And Yoyo Milli....I'm a vet too!

6. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

Tarastwins-how funny! Small or large animal? I am small. Only two weeks left of my 6.5 month maternity leave! I am so sad to be leaving my babies, but looking forward to work again. My husband is a SAHD so makes life easier that way! FWIW--Viacord will overnight the kit to you.

7. TaraDVM

TaraDVM Member

I do small animal in NE Ohio. I do wonder and worry how sad I will be when It comes time for me to go back to work. We are trying to decide on daycare this week...close to work or close to home...that is the question of the day. Good luck with going back to work!