convertible car seats

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pretty girl, Feb 26, 2015.

1. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

Did anyone have their twins come home in a convertible car seat? What was their gestational age?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope, my two came home in infant carriers.  If I remember correctly (my two are seven now, so this was forever ago) that the problem with anticipating using only convertible car seats is that there is a chance that they will be too small for the convertibles.  (Of course, there are a bazillion benefits for using infant carriers, #1 being Double Snap and Go.) 

1 person likes this.
  3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls also came home in the infant carries.  Made life so much easier in the beginning.  We also had to bring the car seats into the hospital for a breathing test ( i think) before we took my girls home.  

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This.

5. pretty girl

In my opinion infant seats are a waste of money since I won't ever take them out of the car due to the fact I'm baby wearing

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Taking two babies in and out of the house can be tricky.  I understand you plan to wear them, but think about the logistics of getting them on you, to the car, off you and into the seats.  Then you get where you're going, and you get them out of the seats, onto you, and maybe off you again depending on where you're going, and do it a again twice over when you get home.  And if you are carrying other things, like diaper bag or supplies, that's even MORE to carry.

I get what you are saying about infant seats being a waste of money, but it's SO much easier to get the infant seats that snap in and out of the car when they are little.  I was sad when my kids got too big for them.  Plus if they doze off, you don't wake them up as much getting them in and out of the house as taking them on and off you for baby wearing.

The other things to consider is that we were required to show the hospital we had seats which was easier with the infant seats, and my kids would have been too small to sit comfortably in the convertible seats.  They were 6lbs and 5lbs, 4 oz, and came home at 3 days old in preemie clothes.  Technically I think they might have been big enough weight-wise, but I don't think it would have been safe for breathing, etc.

In the end, it's up to you to do what you decide is best, but I really think the infant seats are worth the money.

1 person likes this.
  7. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

I also used infant seats. This was 10 months ago and the hospital gave me a recommended infant seat list. We bought the Maxi Cosi ones which are modern looking and light weight. We had to bring them in two days prior to the twins release for the breathing test also. The hospital also had to approve the car seat and approve how we had the base put in to the cars before the release of the girls. I loooooooooved the snap in and snapping out. They would fall asleep and we wouldnt have to wake them. We did not get the convertible car seat until they were about 6-7 months. Now they wake up everytime we have to put them in or take them out. Grrrrrrr.

P.s. The girls went home at gestational age 36 weeks. They were born at 31 weeks.

8. pretty girl

We may have found convertibles that would work