Constipation

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TrishaLinn, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

So, I've gotten really constipated the last few days. I've been dealing with it on and off for the last couple of months and thought I had it under control via diet and also using miralax (at my doctors recommendation). Anyhow, somehow it got out of control again and I haven't had a bowl movement in 4 days and I'm really hurting now. I've taken miralax for three days in a row now and still nothing. Any recommendations? I'm staying hydrated, and doing all of the correct dietary things. I know that between pregnancy and the constipating medications the doctor has me on that is my problem.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

a tbsp of mineral oil in a glass of orange juice. Chug it though, it tastes aweful. Other then upping your bran intake, that's all I have. Hope you feel better soon.

3. schmack82

schmack82 Well-Known Member

Prune juice does it for me. Hope it helps!

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I took ground flax seed throughout my pregnancy and it really helped. About a tablespoon a day, you can just eat it off the spoon or sprinkle it into your food. And keep drinking LOTS of water. GL!

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Switch to colace instead and see if that helps. GL! That is NOT fun!

6. slavila

slavila Well-Known Member

I'd say Colace too. And I had a friend who swore by watermelon for constipation.

7. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, I used colace too. I would probably call the doctor for help. 4 days seems like a long time.

Just a cautionary note, one time I was really constipated and it triggered PTL. I ended up in the hospital briefly and they gave me an enema. I was much farther along and already had a lot of problems with PTL, so it may not be relevant to your situation.

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Seeduction bread from whole foods, lots of water and corn- popped or otherwise. Although Taco Bell might work, too, :lol:

9. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

I'm going to third the Colace idea. It'll take a couple of days before it will work but I found it to be very effective. If you want to try foods, this has always worked for me, try eating the harder parts near the skin of honey dew or cantelope. Good luck!

10. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I got that way and also triggered contrax. I called the doctor and they said I could use a Dulcalax supository and if that didn't work I had to do an enama. Thankfully it did work. From then on it was miralax twice a day and Rx for stool softeners. Call your OB and ask about the supositories. GOOD LUCK I know that sucks.

11. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

I used Senna tablets....but after I got hemorrhoids. Keep trying, something will work for you- do whatever you can to prevent hemorrhoids!!

12. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think the daily doses of miralax and lots of activia yogurt paid off. I've been regularly taking the miralax (at least every other day) and eating the yogurt daily since. I'm going to do whatever I can to prevent THAT problem again. It sure was miserable!