Colder weather at nighttime

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sarah75, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Its finally starting to get cold here and I was wondering what your dressing your babies in at night and what your room temp is ? I dont want to overdress or underdress, any advice ?
    Thanks

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Right now, our guys are in long pants, short sleeve top, and a sleepsack - all cotton knit. We are having highs in the upper 60's and lower 70's and lows in the mid-50's. I plan to switch them over to long sleeve shirt the beginning of the week because the lows are supposed to start being in the 40's.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

70-72 degrees with a fan running all night long and pajama pants, long sleeve pajama tops, fleece sleepsacks.

4. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

The weather here is still nice - not too cold to leave the window open at night. At this point I am dressing them in short-sleeved onesies with a cotton sleepsack. The issue is that once the heat is turned on in our building (which it has) the temperature in the bedroom is impossible to regulate and it is usually on the warm side. So even in the dead of winter they will be in short or long-sleeved onesies or long-sleeved sleepers with a cotton sleepsack (but I just won't have the window open). It really depends on how warm you keep the room. I tend to worry about overheating so that's why I use the cotton sleepsack year round as opposed to switching to a fleece one in the winter.

5. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Forgot to ask - do you still swaddle? If so, they don't need a lot on underneath the swaddle (a short-sleeved onesie should suffice).

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Its around 50 some here at night. They sleep in winter sleepers. My babies like temp around 73-75. I also have a small heater in their room in case its too cold at night.

7. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

Our girls room temp is getting down to 64/65 at night. I dress them in a fleece sleeper and they are in a fleece sleep sac. Was dressing in a cotton sleeper and fleece sleep sack and they were waking up in the middle of night and waking in the morning with cold hands and feet.

Once it drops below 62 in their room at night, I will probably break out the heater to warm it up a little.

On warmer nights during the summer, their room would be about 75 degrees and we would dress them in a long sleeved onsie and a cotton sleep sack.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I think these are two good points. Even though it is in the 50's here at night, our house temp is staying around 70-72, and the nursery seems to be one of the warmer rooms for some reason (our room is SO cold, it's ridiculous). Maybe our boys are just warm-natured, but they are still in short sleeves and their arms don't seem cold in the mornings. I also worry about overheating and don't tend to use the fleece things until it gets REALLY cold, which here is usually December, January and February. I think you have to take into account what your kids like, too. They seem to be comfortable, so I'm not too worried. I do think I'll be switching to long sleeves in the next couple of days, though.

9. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

When it was warm and we had the A/C on - we kept the house around 72 degrees. Now, with the cold weather and no A/C it seems to be staying around 74 degrees. We keep the boys in long sleeve pjs and the have a couple of cotton blankies. I noticed they like blankets better than the sleep sac now, and they seem to like 2 or 3 light ones to feel snuggly.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

i have always heard that if you're comfortable, they'll be comfortable. I always dressed mine in warm jammies and no more blankets than I would normally use. I kept their room at the same temp as ours.

11. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

The girls' nursery stayed around 72 all summer, so I'm hoping to do the same in the winter. They currently wear short sleeved onesies and a muslin or regular cotton sleepsack with a fan running all night. They've never seemed cold. In fact, they seem warmer in their room than when I bring them downstairs to play.

I'll probably change to long sleeves when it cools off more...if it cools off more. Their room gets full sun in the evening, and with the days getting shorter, it seems to warm up significantly in their at night. They may end up wearing less clothes in the winter!

12. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Mine won't keep a blanket on, so we are already in fleece pajama sleepers with feet. Even if it seems a little warm, by morning it is chilly in there and I try to imagine lying there with nothing on my feet or a blanket - I would be cold. Their room is holding at 70-72 but by morning is around 66 (been getting down between 48-52 degrees at night) The humidifier is coming in soon and that will keep the temps cooler in there. I can't wait until they use a blanket. :)

13. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Have you tried sleepsacks? I love them. We use Halo and Aden&Anais.

14. A-H-S

A-H-S Member

The colder weather is just leaving us here, the girls slept in singlets/body suits and were wrapped in a thin sheet with two woollen blankets on top at night. also an oil heater would run all night if it was really cold. (probably easier to keep babies warm now as there is no kicking off blankets here yet!)

15. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Ours wear long sleeved sleepers, lighter weight fabrics, no fleece yet, and are swaddled in a Snuggleme swaddler or a blanket. The temp inside is usually 70-74. I think they seem comfy, not hot or cold.

16. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies, I have just ordered some sleep sacks, so hopefully they will love them !

17. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We live in a cooler climate so it is now 50s/60s during the day and 30s/40s at night. We have started putting them in fleece sleepers with blankets covering them, albeit, the blankets don't always stay on. I just bought them velboa sheets. Our house will get to about 65 at night. We currently run a fan in their room (plus white noise), but will soon switch to a humidifier when the heat goes on.