Cold weather babies- how do you keep warm outside?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cristallynn, Nov 28, 2008.

1. cristallynn

cristallynn Well-Known Member

I bought jackets for the babies, but what a pain in the butt! I've seen the zip-up onesies that go over clothing (I'm not sure what they're actually called), but wonder if they'd be too warm over their clothing. I also still have bundle-me(s) that I was thinking of trying to put in their stroller. They're rarely outside and I really just need to keep them warm from the car to the entrance of wherever we're going. What do you use??

2. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

This is what they wear in the carseat:
    http://www.explore64.com/explore64/COL1475...er-Infants.html

Someone else on this site linked me to it...they also have a version that youre talking about, covers the whole body.

I bought a kidopotamus carseat cover...and sometimes if its extra cold I put a blanket inside as well....
    The grandma grabber sweater is nice cuz it has a hood and hand coverings...no mittens to lose!!!

I live in the Midwest so it gets pretty cold. If I DO plan on taking them for a walk or daycare will take them outside, I have some hand me down snowsuit type deals I could provide...

But they fit in the carseat so nice with these fleece jackets...anything bigger and it just doesnt seem to work.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've also used the bundle me's and also wrapped them in blankets, ours were born in late December.

4. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

Honestly, all we use on a regular basis is a car seat cover similar to this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6487083

We do put a blanket or two between the baby and the carrier cover for added warmth. We don't use the fleece "snowsuit" until it nears -20F outside.

Now, if we have to be outdoors for any length of time that is a whole different story.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I use jackets and snowsuits... they hate the snowsuits, which isn't helping... but yeah it's a real PITA. The snowsuits I have are fleece so pretty thin and not that warm though... but they don't stay out much anyway.

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Last winter we either put the girls in fleece snowsuits or used the bundle me's in the car with a hat on them. We also tried to warm up the car before putting them in too. One good thing about the bundle me's is that if you are using the snap n go stroller to shop, they are easy to zip off.

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Someone sent me some Carter outfits that were made of polar fleece -- pants and a jacket. This worked great !! Polar fleece is the best material. Not much past a blanket was needed.

8. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hi!

If we are just going from building to car or car to building...we just use blankets. We make sure the carseats are in the house and warm, and that the car is warmed up. I like the blankets because you can tuck them in, without having to worry about it interfereing with the restraint system, plus when they are in the car, I didn't want them to overheat.

9. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Im not sure if you are handy with a sewing machine or know anyone that is...we live in Fairbanks alaska where it gets to -50!
    my twins HATE snowsuits and I had the same problem how do I keep them warm? I took the idea from this site: car seat ponchos
    but then went to my local fabric store and bought fleece and soft warm fabric. I made it double thick with a hood, and a clasp at the neck. I can just throw it over their heads. I can lift it up to buckle the straps, and it works great as a winter poncho.

10. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

QUOTE(E&Msmom @ Nov 30 2008, 03:48 AM) [snapback]1090616[/snapback]
    Im not sure if you are handy with a sewing machine or know anyone that is...we live in Fairbanks alaska where it gets to -50!
    my twins HATE snowsuits and I had the same problem how do I keep them warm? I took the idea from this site: car seat ponchos
    but then went to my local fabric store and bought fleece and soft warm fabric. I made it double thick with a hood, and a clasp at the neck. I can just throw it over their heads. I can lift it up to buckle the straps, and it works great as a winter poncho.

That's a cute idea and would be easier than dealing with the blankets that slip off when a baby/babies upgrade to the larger car seat.