Cold medication question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by annabell, May 9, 2007.

1. annabell

annabell Well-Known Member

My DH had to pick up a prescription for himself and asked the pharmacist if there was a cough suppressant for infants. The pharmacist gave him an over the counter “Little Colds” multi-symptom cold formula. He told him our son was not quiet one, and the pharmacist showed him how much to give. My question is the box says consult doctor for children under two. Has anyone given this to their twins under one? Our ped is closed now and my poor son hasn’t had a good night sleep in three days. I would love to give it to him if it’s safe. Does a pharmacist count as a doctor’s approval?

2. Cheryl O.

Cheryl O. Well-Known Member

I used little colds on my girls after 6 months - it works great. Our doc was fine w/ it.

3. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I think cold medicine is something that dr's don't all agree on. My pedi still tells me not to give it to them yet, although our last dr said it was ok. All the stories in the news about kids getting accidental oversodes worried me, so when mine get colds & are miserable I just give them infant Tylenol before bed.

4. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

Our Pedi told us at 6 month we could use a cold medicine but we haven't had to yet.

5. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

My ped goes by this chart: http://askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp#T089104

(Which was originally given to me by one of the mommies here.)

The Little Colds doesn't taste as good as the Tylenol, but it's half the price for twice as much. All same active ingredients. And it worked great!

6. annabell

Thanks for all the help. We gave him some last night after he woke up in another cough fit. It worked O.K. but I think I'm calling the ped again this morning. His cough just seems to be getting worse.

7. annabell

Well, I just talked to our ped. and was told they don't give cough med to kids under 2 so I guess I should have held off. ;) We are going in today because I need to know what this is. We have had 4 sleepless nights and we have the twins first b-day party this weekend. I want to make sure he isn't going to give the other kids anything.

8. Kateyes2022

Kateyes2022 Well-Known Member

I am glad you called your pedi. My babies are getting over a horrible cold/cough and the pedi told us no cold/cough medicine. He said studies have shown that it’s not really effective at their age. He also said it can sometimes keep them awake at night instead of helping them sleep better.