cold/cough

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Nov 1, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LOs have colds. AGAIN. the 3rd one since sept! :headbang:

one of my little guys has a bad cough at night....is there ANYTHING i can do for him? humififier is going.....

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not much besides raising the head of his bed up, running the humidifier, if it's disturbing his sleep you can talk to your dr about a decongestant. We have a script to use when their coughing is disruptive or their noses are excessively runny.

1 person likes this.
  3. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

My two have had a couple of colds already this fall. They're at the tail end of the second one. It's lasted a couple of weeks. They have been coughing at night too. Our Pedi said Vicks vaporub is ok. I'd call your Dr. first though. It does seem to help quiet the coughing.

4. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I have one boy who when really sick will cough so hard he vomits. He also has “asthma” (both boys do) although it has not been officially diagnosed yet.

We have a nebulizer for wheezing which helps loosening up their chests but this is due to their "asthma".

Other things we do. Steam before bedtime. I turn on the shower and either we take a shower or play in the bathroom with the door closed and the shower on hot. After this we have a fun session of suctioning out noses. If needed this is repeated during the night. They sleep on a pillow and has since they were 12 months old. If it is really bad then he spends most of the night sleeping on one of us in the recliner.

Also ½ teaspoon honey before bed. Or put it in warm tea. They have to be over a year to use the honey. It is supposed to work better then cough medication or decongestants. Check with your pedi first though on how much to give.