CLOTHES FOR TWINS,SIZE...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by toni4veka, Oct 11, 2011.

1. toni4veka

toni4veka Active Member

LADIES,
    Can you tell me the size of your clothes that you buy for your twins.
    I read in one book ,about bargains ,where they said,for twins to start with newborn,and after with number 0-3 months.
    I bought for newborn.
    What did you buy for first weeks?
    THANK YOU
    VESNA

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For the first weeks-we ended up using preemie clothes-at least four weeks or so. Anthony was born weighing 6 lbs 3 oz and Nicholas was born weighing 6 lbs 13 oz at 38 weeks gestation. Anthony went home weighing 5 lbs 9 oz. Preemies fit! Everything else they swam in! As long as you have a little bit of everything-you should be good! Newborn is smaller fitting than the 0-3 months stuff.

Congrats!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two wore preemie stuff until they were about 4 weeks old (negative 2 weeks corrected). Then they switched to newborn which lasted a few more weeks.

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys were in preemie clothes for the first 3 weeks or so, then NB for about a month etc.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My guys wore preemie clothes for 2 or 3 months then moved to newborn. My guys were born at 33 weeks though. It just totally depends on how big they are when they are born.

6. SC

SC Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with some of each size--newborn and up. You can probably hold on the preemie stuff until you know for certain if you need it.
    I believe newborn clothing fits up to 8 lbs., but probably not much under 5 lbs. When my guys were approaching 5 lbs. they were swimming in newborn clothing.
    You'll be amazed at how fast your babes outgrow everything up until about 12 months when it slows a little. We have cute little outfits they probably each only wore a few times before they outgrew them!!

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was weirdly superstitious about preemie clothing (if I didn't buy it, they wouldn't need it :slap: ). That being said, my boys were born at 37w5d. Orion was 5 lbs 7 oz at birth but due to nursing dropped down to 4 lbs 10 ozs. I sifted through all my newborn stuff & the very tiniest of it still swam on him. A few preemie outfits really would have been helpful. Their going home outfits were newborn & I think I could have fit both babies in one set- I literally couldn't keep them up where they should be.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It definitely would not hurt to have a few preemie outfits...just in case. :good:

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

This was me. My mom bought them preemie clothes, and thank god she did becaue if she hadn't I would have lost them in the NB clothes I had. They wore preemie stuff home and they were 6lbs 9oz and 5lbs 2oz. Even though NB is up to 8lbs, you'll find it well be huge on some depending on how big they are at birth. I would pick some up, can't hurt. My guys were 37 weekers, so not early at all.

10. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

DS1 was in preemie for less than 2 weeks, and DS2 was in them for about 3 weeks. After that, we used newborn until around 1.5-2 months, then went up from there. There is no way to know for sure what you will need. To be safe, I would have at least a few preemie things, and a few newborn things, and then if you need more, you can hopefully send someone to get more.

One other FYI, I always found my kids ran a size ahead in the Gerber onesies - when they were wearing newborn clothes, for example, they could already wear 0-3 in the Gerber. If you have trouble finding preemie things (which I did - most places don't carry many, at least around here), you could try the newborn size of the Gerber.

11. toni4veka

toni4veka Active Member

THANK YOU LADIES.I WILL BUY PREEMIE CLOTHES TOO:)

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the odd man out and say don't buy preemie until you need it. My twins were 37.5 weeks, 7.13 and 6.2. They were barely in NB, and never wore preemie.

13. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 38 weeks and both were about 6 pounds (one 3 oz. shy, the other 3 oz. above). I had bought newborn and 0-3 months clothes, but we needed preemie clothes the first 4 weeks.

14. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

We bought two premmie one piece for just in case. Our boys didn't need them, they fitted into the NB fine. I gave the clothes to the NICU since we didn't use them. Our 2nd DS spent a bit of time in there but not the twins. They always need extras and it was nice to know that some of those gorgeous wee babies had something new to wear :)

15. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

My first was 5lbs 2oz (full term) and swam in NB but was too long for preemie. So preemie might not work with the super skinny ones. I go with being superstitious and not buying preemie. :)

16. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Having just a couple preemie things on hand for each baby is a good idea. Even a couple of my kids that were over 7lbs seemed to swim in the newborn stuff at first. They usually grow fast and won't wear the preemie stuff for long. But it's nice at first to have things that fit to wear home from the hospital, to have for some pictures, etc. When they're tiny, I also loved having the baby gowns with elastic in the bottom. They make it easy to change diapers, babies don't manage to pull up their knees and then get both legs stuck in just one leg (seemed like that happened a lot with clothes that were too big) and it's ok if they're a little long. Plus they usually have the sleeves that fold over to cover baby hands to keep them from scratching themselves.

17. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So very true. Mine lived in these. I'd put them in the cute outfits sometimes, but more than not they were in 'baby dresses' (they make them in unisex & a boyish style, too!)

18. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

Mine came at 38 weeks, they were 6 lbs 12 oz, 5lbs, 14 oz. Their weights fell to around 6 lbs and 5 lbs 4 oz. I only used newborn clothes and never bought any preemie. They probably could have fit in preemie but I didn't want to spend the money on clothes that would hardly get worn. Newborn was a little big at first but fit well by 2 weeks old. I vote for not getting any unless you are already having signs of preterm labor.

19. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Mine were in preemie for quite a while. BUT if you have a Mothers of Multiple club in your area check with them - ours has a preemie closet and will loan you a box. I wish I had know this :(