Cloth Diapers

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by gina_leigh, May 7, 2014.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of making the switch to cloth diapers for Caleb. I wanted to with the twins, but felt overwhelmed by everything else, that it got pushed aside. But now that I'm experiencing the difference of just one baby (oh my goodness!) I'm realizing that it's something I think I could do now. 

I've seen dozens and dozens of different systems and brands and I'm just not sure where to start. I'm thinking I'd like to start out with just a couple to try it out and see how it goes before I invest a lot into a system. I'd hate to spend all the money and then back out and go back to Pampers. 

Any cloth diapering advice is and suggestions are welcome!  

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I switched to cloth when Evan was a baby.  Like you doing it with the twins seemed very overwhelming to say the least.  I had about 17 cloth diapers and washed every 2.5 days.  I switched when he was wetting so much that he was always  leaking.  I don't remember how old, but I'd bet it was about 2 years old.  I have a lot of patience for that stuff, but not so much dh.  I did basically the brand 'bum genius.'  It was something else, started with the letter "H."  Happy Heineys!  LOL  I enjoyed doing it and I would totally suggest doing it!  I loved how they looked on Evan! 

3. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I babysat a baby that used cloth diapers. They used baby genius,I liked using them. But could not imagine washing them in my clothes washer. I have seen that they have at buybuybaby a water system that hooks up to the toilet. And you rinse them in the toilet. I had thought of using with baby girl. But I just can't get past putting diapers that are chocked in poo in my washer that my shirts and pants go in. I know plenty of people do it and are just fine. I know I have issues, but I couldn't get past that so we use huggies. I say give it a try w/ a few different brands. Also the buybuybaby here will take them back (after you wash them) if you are unhappy with them for what ever reason.

4. GardeningMama

GardeningMama New Member

HI I'm new to the site and new to parenting twins.  With my now five year old I used Bum Genius brand diapers, with the flushable liners.  The Free Time and the 4.0 are both great and easy to use diapers.  I had 18 diapers and washed every other day. 

Other than the diapers all you need is a bucket with lid for dirty diapers and a wet bag for changes when you are away from home.  You don't need to spray anything off when you use the liners it all gets flushed.

I waited until my DD was 2 months old to switch to cloth, both because changes are less frequent and my little one was skinny so the didn't fit well until then. 

I used Rock'n Green detergent and hung them out to dry.  I never had problems with stains or loss of absorbancy. 

I am waiting until my little guys are 2 months old and I will switch them to cloth.  It really isn't any more difficult than disposable, I do so much laundry a couple of extra loads a week probably won't even me noticed.