Clingy 9 year old twin girls

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Barbieq, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Barbieq

Barbieq New Member

My daughter gets driven to distraction by her 9 year old twin girls - they hang on her or hang around her all the time instead of finding something to do or instead of playing with each other. Is this normal? What should she do other than tell them to go and play?

2. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Is this something new they are doing or have they always been this way?

3. Barbieq

Barbieq New Member

They have been this way since she started working - but that's 3 years ago.... they just don't seem to be able to amuse themselves

4. Katheryn

Well, I'd have to say, based on my own 9 year olds and my experience with other twins (I belong to a MOT's group so most of my friends have twins) that being so clingy at this age is not the norm. I could see them being that way for time after the change of their mommy going to work, but as they got used to it I would think they would cling less. At this age, also, my girls are needing me less and less for "entertainment" and go off for long periods together playing.

Are your granddaughters involved in any activities outside of school? Do they have kids they play with in the neighborhood after school. Perhaps they need more socialization with other kids and adults?

5. Barbieq

Barbieq New Member

QUOTE(Katheryn @ Apr 16 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]221904[/snapback]
    Well, I'd have to say, based on my own 9 year olds and my experience with other twins (I belong to a MOT's group so most of my friends have twins) that being so clingy at this age is not the norm. I could see them being that way for time after the change of their mommy going to work, but as they got used to it I would think they would cling less. At this age, also, my girls are needing me less and less for "entertainment" and go off for long periods together playing.

Are your granddaughters involved in any activities outside of school? Do they have kids they play with in the neighborhood after school. Perhaps they need more socialization with other kids and adults?

6. Barbieq

Barbieq New Member

Thanks for your reply.... I don't think it's quite normal either - they don't have any kids in their neighborhood to play with so all they really have is each other. They don't do a whole lot of activities outside the home either. I've noticed when they are at my house they find things to do and don't cling to me - and when their cousins are here they never need me to entertain them.

7. Katheryn

It sounds like they really need/want their mom's attention then. I assume she's working full-time? So when mommy's with other people or doing something else they're gonna be clingy.