Clear snot and coughing

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by scrappycindy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

My two have been "sick" for a week now. No fever, but have clear snot and some coughing that seems to be getting better. Is clear snot a sign of allergies (strong family history of tons of environmental allergies). We're supposed to go to a play group tomorrow and I don't want to get other kids sick...

2. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

From what I've been told, clear snot and no fever, you are fine. Anytime there is a fever or green snot, then they are likely contagious and would recommend not bringing them around other children, but from what you describe I think they should be fine. It is very likely that it could be allergies. Mine have allergies and have also recently started having the clear runny nose and coughing. I have given mine zyrtec in the spring when they had really bad allergies and it helped a lot. You may want to check with your pedi about that if it doesn't get better and starts to bother their sleeping or anything.

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I had a LO sick for two weeks. The doctor said clear or green/yellow snot are not necessarily a sign of anything but just a way of their bodies expelling the bad stuff. However, she did say that if they are sick for more than 14 days they generally believe it's sinusitis and put them on antibiotics. If your LO seems to be getting better I wouldn't worry about it. We are in cold/flu season so it's going around. Good luck!

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son has severe allergies and there are many times that he has a dry cough and clear snot. I, too, have always heard that as long as the snot is not colored and no fever you are fine. However, my son has went to the allergist before with these same symptoms only to find out he had a sinus infection.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For the most part, clear snot and a cough are likely allergies and/or sinus drainage, but not an infection. Green/yellow snot with a fever usually means an infection. Mine have had clear snot and a cough for about a week as well, I'm fairly certain it's allergies because all the rest of us are having allergy problems right now.