clean portable fruit

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debbie_long83, Mar 13, 2009.

1. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on my reply to another thread, but thought I'd mention it again. Does anybody else buy the freeze dried baby fruit?? I know it's not as good as fresh, but it's not soaked in syrup like some fruit cups. My girls love it! I love being able to take fruit with us and not having to worry about keeping it cold or making a huge mess, although it can get sticky if they just play with it. :)

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Yup! My girls like freeze dried apples. They didn't like the strawberry/banana combo though and I agree it was kinda icky.

3. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Yup, we do the freeze dried apples too! They're part of my emergency snack stash in the diaper bag :)

4. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

I haven't tried them yet, but thanks for bringing it up, adding freeze dried fruit to the grocery list. Sounds like they will be great for when out and about. Thanks :)

Dianna

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Are they hard to chew? Wondering if my girls can handle it with their 8 teeth. I worry about choking with things they can't chew well.

6. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP. I am a worry FREAK when it comes to things I think pose a choking hazard to them. But, I never heard of this before so I am going to add it to the list! I'm guessing you find it in the grocers freezer section? :laughing:

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, I haven't tried that. Is it a "baby food" with the baby stuff or you just get regular freeze dried fruit?

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Okay, not to sound like a total dingbat, but where is freeze dried fruits? I've never bought them before, but love the idea of a less messy option when we're out and about.

9. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering where you find them. I bought dried bananas but those are really crunchy, so I didn't offer any to the boys. Are the other ones softer? And like others have said, are they with the baby stuff or the other dried stuff? Oh wait, are you talking about the Gerber brand ones that are really itty bitty & essentially dissolve in their mouths? We have done those, but they don't like them anymore because they seem to want "bigger" things vs those small itty, bitty pieces that get messy! I had completely forgotten about those; it's been forever since we bought them! We used them a LOT between 10-15 or 16 mos!

10. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Is it a "baby food" with the baby stuff or you just get regular freeze dried fruit?

It's not with the baby stuff.

Mine love, love, love it!!

You can find it at Trader Joe's. The one by me sells freeze-dried strawberry's, mangos and banana's. It's by the nuts and trail mixes.

Fruitful Yield also sells it' but it's pretty expensive. They also sell freeze-dried veggies. For some reason, my boys will eat the peas, but if I give them regular peas they won't eat them. :rolleyes:

Costco sells a box of 20 freeze-dried apples, pears and strawberry & banana mix. What I like about these is they come in individual servings which is 1/2 cup of fruit, so I can just toss them in the diaper bag. The ones at Trader Joe's comes in a larger bag. The ones at Fruitful Yield comes in a plastic container.

They just melt in their mouths and that is why I like them so much.

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

You can find freeze dried fruit at Costco too, in the section where they have fruit cups and other snacks. It's not a baby food really; the fruit we get is packaged individually so it's single serving sized for an elementary aged kid. My girls love freeze dried fruit so we always keep it in the car as emergency snack food. As for choking, it's actually really easy to chew - much of it dissolves rather than needing to be chewed. Regular dried fruit is difficult to chew, but freeze dried is easy.

12. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Sorry! Haven't been back on since I posted this.

We buy ours in the baby section. Gerber makes some and then there is a wal-mart brand (cheaper). The pieces are very small (about the same if not smaller than puffs) and they dissolve a little bit. Not much chewing required. We have tried the apples and the banana strawberry mix. They come in little pouches like yogurt drops.
    Here is a link.

13. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Mar 14 2009, 08:49 AM) [snapback]1227585[/snapback]
    Are they hard to chew? Wondering if my girls can handle it with their 8 teeth. I worry about choking with things they can't chew well.

One of my girls only had 4 teeth up until 21 months. (Yep, four!! :) ) The pedi said they use their gums to mash food until molars come in. I was surprised at what she could eat. Anywho...she could eat this fruit no problem, it's nice and soft.

QUOTE(dlong83 @ Mar 14 2009, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1228177[/snapback]
    Sorry! Haven't been back on since I posted this.

We buy ours in the baby section. Gerber makes some and then there is a wal-mart brand (cheaper). The pieces are very small (about the same if not smaller than puffs) and they dissolve a little bit. Not much chewing required. We have tried the apples and the banana strawberry mix. They come in little pouches like yogurt drops.
    Here is a link.

Yep. :good: We used to buy the same kind. I have seen it everywhere in the baby section...Target, Wal-Mart, the grocery store...etc.

14. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

Gerber makes freeze dried fruit in their toddler line, its with all the other babyfood. Its teeny tiny pieces, definitely not a choking hazard. They are expensive though, probably the non-Gerber version is way cheaper but not availabe at our local Meijer. My twinnies really love the Gerber freeze dried yogurts, thats in our emergency stash, they are tasty, a good source of calcium and have more calories, and my DD needs all the calories she can get!

15. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

thanks for the idea I bought apple and strawberry today we were going to a family get together and my girls loved them.

16. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

we do the gerber ones as well, and just last week i discovered the walmart brand (sesame street) has corn, too, and they have just loved those. super yummy!!

they do dissolve pretty easily, we have been doing the apples since before they were 1