Christmas list

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

This year I thought about making a wish list for close relatives...sometimes we have
    suggested gifts and it turns out they love it because they don't have to think
    about what to get and they'll be happy we like what we got!

what is in your list this year? I usually have some big toys (as a family gift) and small for stockings or
    less expensive...

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure yet about what I will end up getting them and what I'll ask family to get... I'm probably a bit weird but my relatives always comment on how many toys they have so I always feel weird asking for more! We usually make a lottery with dh's family so we all buy only for one adult and one child though so if they ask this year (they don't always do it, last year we only got books) I'll definitely ask for a toy... I'm guessing whatever I won't have bought by then (been checking sales). My family is overseas so gives me money, lol. Also, I might just keep some of them for their birthday (I have a couple things I'll hold onto until then already). They always share but I'll try to give each their own stuff in stockings...

For both
    Train table (probably imaginarium if it goes below $120)
    Train set (found a super cheap Imaginarium one on clearance)
    Duplo set (whatever I can find cheap, but I'd like the feeding zoo, grocery store or petstore)
    Duplo firetruck
    Magnetic Melissa and Doug dress up doll
    Melissa and doug toys (thinking either the pizza or the birthday cake, the cutting food set, and maybe brownies/donuts/cupcake set)
    Doll potty/diaper set

For stockings I'm a bit at a loss... For him I have a Thomas train, and I'll get some hot wheels, for her, not sure at all! I'll be definitely checking this thread for ideas!

We already have a lot of stuff! For girls I definitely recommend snap'n style dolls from fisher price!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DH and I are limiting their Christmas gifts from Santa to five each this year...so far we've gotten them crayons for their stockings, an Olivia doll house for DD..we plan on getting DS a talking Woody doll, a t-ball set (for them both), little tykes grilling set, play medical kits, basketball set.
    On the wish list, we are putting the leap frog laptops, clothes, books, gift cards. Their birthday is the day after Christmas, so I have to try to think of some more things.
    For their birthday we are thinking of getting them both a Fisher Price Toy Story race track with the Buzz and Woody cars you shake.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am CLUELESS for Annabella. Not to mention with having big brothers, they've already gotten the 'big' stuff. And she has a pink cozy coupe that we got her for her first birthday. I'll take ideas! But I may have to go to the SY for that...

As for the boys-their big gift this year is going to be some type of workbench thing or whatever. I bought one for $10 last year at a tag sale and they really enjoy it. It's old and missing pieces. I want a new one. :laughing: I'm just not sure what kind to get. I know Step 2 just came out with one, so I need to check it out.

Other ideas:
    -games
    -Look-n-Find books(they LOVE them!)
    -Toy Story anything!
    -arts/crafts supplies
    -Cars stuff
    -Toy Story 3 coming out in time for Christmas? If so-that's a must!

Their birthday is next month and we will probably redo their bedroom as their gift.

Fran-How are the Snap Dolls for 18 month olds?

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

It might be a bit hard to snap the outfit on at that age, depending on her fine motor skills, but she would still love the dolls I think!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We are fixing to have a birthday and they are getting: leapfrog explorers, one game a piece, one app card a piece, and some mermaid my little ponies. For Christmas I'm thinking more games for the explorer and hello kitty necklaces(real stones). Some time between now and then we are getting a swing set.

7. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

The only thing I know for sure that we're getting the girls is bikes or tricycles. I'm thinking just the small bikes. Christmas is coming up too soon!

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

The only thing I have in mind for the girls are the Vtech Mobigo? :umm:

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Luke & Lila got Leapster Explorers for their birthday this past weekend & they have been a HUGE hit! Have you already bought them? I got a great deal ordering them from the Leapfrog site. We got the bundle (saves 20%), with the Explorer, the recharger, & one game each and I Googled & found a promo code to save another 20% off of the whole order. It saved a ton of money from what it was going to cost me in stores. And each Explorer came with a free app card.

ETA- right now there is a promo code SEPBDAY that saves 20% off entire order.

10. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

Thanks for the coupon code Tina.. Are you [or is anyone else here] familiar with the Leapfrog Didj Custom Learning Game System versus the Leapfrog Explorer? THe Didj is currently on clearance for $39.99 so it will cost considerably less than the Explorer. The Explorer is newer and has newer games from what I've gathered, but is there anything else in terms of functionality, ease of usage, and image clarity that I should be aware of? I checked out the age recommendations... 4 - 9 years for the Explorer and 5 - 10 years for the Didj, and as far as I'm concerned those age ranges are fairly similar. My boys are only two years now, but I'd like a new gadget that they could grow into so to speak.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We're getting the Explorers for the girls as well. Toys R Us is running a deal where you buy two you get one free, so I'm going through there to get the girls one and my nephew one, too.

LeapFrog Explorers
    Roller Skates
    Stairway Bunkbed
    Clothes
    Lockets with their own picture and Me and Monty's picture.
    Wallie Robot (Sarah's asked for this)

That's all I have really thought of right now and still don't know if that is for sure what they will get.

12. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

There are a million things I want to get them.Maybe a table and chair set. I really want to get the girls a nice dollhouse. Any advice?

13. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I have NO ideas to tell my family for my girls. :faint: I'm not sure I want to get them a video game unit yet. :blush: I like how they are still very much into creative play. So...I'm stumped!

I have already purchased them a bunch of little things. We're planning on going to Disney next year, so we're thinking their airplane tickets will be their present.

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The Fisher Price loving family dollhouse is really nice, but I guess it depends on how your girls do with small parts. I have the 'my first dollhouse' with a few sets because I got it for cheap and my kids like it for now, but I can see how it wouldn't last as long... I'll probably get a nicer one in a year or two if she asks for it (or earlier if I find something on craigslist).

My kids LOVE their table and chair set. They even have lunch on it. I got it at a consignment sale, it's an older little tikes set, it's in plastic so it's super easy to clean, so I highly recommend that... I'm not too fond of the latest models though and I find the step 2 model nicer, but it's also something you can find easily on craigslist.

15. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i would like an art table they can both sit at, and store all their markers, crayons, etc on. one of you posted a picture of it last year... was that you, michelleL? i've been thinking about it since i saw that picture! (their tinkerbell table is just too small)
    dress up clothes, they'd LOVE a playhouse! real blocks, the black n decker drill set i saw at costco today :ibiggrin:

for their bday next month we're getting them a cash register, play money, shopping carts and dress up clothes :)

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I'm having a tough time with this this year. I kind of refuse to get them any type of video games or electronic gadget (Leapster, etc.). I know kids love them, but I have enough trouble dragging them away from the TV, computer, and DH's iPhone -- I don't want that every minute of the day.

But they already have a lot of creative stuff (dollhouse, play food and kitchen, dress-up clothes, etc.) and building sets (train track, Wedgits, marble run, wood blocks...). I can't imagine incorporating one more thing into the house without getting rid of something they're still using.

Really, the only thing they could use that they don't already have is art supplies, because they're always using them up and needing more.

But when I really try to brainstorm, some thoughts (just in case they're helpful for anyone else!) are:

- American Girl dolls. I used to think I'd rather have someone shoot me than buy one of those things (I hate the whole industry of it), but the dolls themselves are really nice, and I think my kids are old enough to be gentle with them. I might just get a nice doll that's like the American Girl ones but isn't actually one. :laughing:

- workbench -- though the last thing our house needs is another large object. But they enjoy building, and I'd love for them to be more handy with tools than I am!

- science stuff -- like a bug jar, magnifying glass, etc. Maybe even one of those kits with projects you can do, although I worry that it would be just one more thing we wouldn't actually have time to do :blush:

- I also might splurge and get them each one nice (as in, decent quality) princess costume. That was another "just shoot me" item until recently -- but they do love them so much, and they've worn the cheap Belle dress to rags.

OK, I'm off to write this stuff down on my "kids wish list" before I forget it...

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

so far we've pre-ordered the Toy Story Trilogy on Blu-Ray - we have the first 2 but they're skipping from being tossed around...

Tony wants to get Ian some Legos but I'm getting pissed off in the fact that you can't just get Legos - they're part of a set to build something...and it just galls me to get my kids a lego set to build a Ty Fighter or something - plus they only have ONE (yes ONE) set geared toward girls...

They have Leapster 2's so maybe a new game...Ian's starting to outgrow his toddler bed so I may have to cave and get twin beds for them...past that I have no clue...I wouldn't be surprised if my IL's got them a laptop - they LOVE to spend big money!

18. tinalb

Amy, you need something like this. I also think this is really cute & it comes in a pink set or a blue set, and not a bad price either!

19. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Yeah I got the blue one for the boys bday and I got them each one of those really big boards to build on. They are so nice.

20. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I agree the bins are the best!

21. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

So far on our lists are:

For DS:
    die cast toy buses/planes, etc...
    a doctor kit

For DD:
    a play microwave and stove top to go in her playhouse
    toy cookware
    princess dress up stuff

For both:
    some kind of portable CD player w/ headphones or cheapy IPOD

Does anyone know if they make headphones for IPOD's that are kiddie size? My headphones don't seem to stay in their ears....a point of frustration for both mom & kiddo. :headbang:

22. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

So we have birthdays 10 days before Christmas as well...so here's what I have so far for b'day and Christmas:
    2 Geotrax trains to add to their collection
    2 Leapsters 2 and 2 games each
    A Tag and 4 books (only got one in case it's not a hit, figured they could share)
    2 Melissa and Doug puzzles
    Curious George 2 and Toy Story 3 DVD's.

I would like:
    maybe an art desk if I can find one I like!
    kiddy ipods are a great idea! They always want mine...
    Duplos or Trios
    They've been eyeing the Toy Story imaginext, but we have a lot of imaginext stuff already. Imaginext is great!
    Still hunting for ideas...

23. tinalb

HIt the stores either a few days before or the day after Halloween. You can usually get really good deals on that kind of stuff then! I have my eye on an Aurora dress that is out of my budget, hoping it is still around by then!

24. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Today's Kids Woot had 1.3 MP rugged cameras for $7.99. We ordered two of them. Can go wrong with that price. :) Other than that, we're just kind of taking it piece by piece. They're probably not going to get anything big or expensive, mostly stocking stuffers and clothes.

25. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I hadn't even thought of that! Great idea! Thanks Tina!!

26. lindsay084

lindsay084 Well-Known Member

I just ordered the girls the Sweet Pea mp3 players. They had really good reviews so i am keeping my fingers crossed! :)

27. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does anyone have Geotrax trains for 3 year olds?

When I ask the girls what they want, they either say a doll house/tree house, or trains/cars. I was thinking about getting them some sort of train or car track. Anyone have one their kids love? I saw a Geotrax Xmas train on the fisher price website, I was thinking about that one.

28. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Geotrax looks great, we just decided to go with a wood set instead.

29. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

We have geotrax and love them, but we also like the wooden ones when we have a chance to play with those. I love the Christmas geotrax set, but I think it is really expensive.

30. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There is a big one and a small one. The bigger one is $129, the smaller one is $60. I think the $60 one actually looks more toddler friendly, that's the one I want.

31. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

My twins pretty much have everything since they just had their birthday party this past weekend. My son just got the new Imaginext 'Dragon' and some of the collections as well. We already purchased 'Batman' last year. And we already have the doll house as well.

At this age w/turning 4 it is the start of getting less of the 'big toys' compared to 1-2-3 yrs old. So, I guess we'll be getting additional games w/their new Leapster Explorer, more F/P doll house accessories, and some pretend play clothes for both of them.

I have been collecting Hello Kitty & Batman stuff from a party store (they do sell individual party favors) and use them for their stocking. :)

32. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We plan on getting more tinkertoys. DD got a small set for bday and they both love them.
    A dr. kit-loved her cousins when we visited
    DS want Bob the Builder stuff-probably some construciton vehicles (maybe remote control) with lights and noises
    Art stuff (great for stockings)
    Dress up accessories for DD
    Doll clothes for DD

33. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I hit the stores this morning in search of dress up stuff and I hit the jackpot! :woo: I found everything for 50% off. I got cinderella, snow white and a princess dress for DD and for DS superman and a cowboy dress up kit. Thank you so much for the idea! They are now socked away for Christmas. Let the Christmas Shopping BEGIN!! :)

34. tinalb

:woo: :woo: :woo:

35. Username

Username Well-Known Member

The whole bellville line is geared toward girls. Doesn't work for my girls since they think horses are big and smelly and leave behind piles of poop! Plus my girls love trucks and construction stuff. They do sell bins of pink/lavender legos with extra flowers thrown in if that appeals to you.

If you don't want sets, then you would do well buying used. My kids (boy and girls) only like sets. We have (literally) boxes and boxes of random legos and duplo that I bought for chump change at yard sales. You will get so much more for your money, plus all the instructions for sets can be downloaded if they change their minds.

Also, my advise is not to move too quickly out of duplo. My 10 year old and his buddies still play with the duplos when they forget about being cool.