Christmas crazies

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Our first Christmas at home was, overall, a wonderful experience. The girls seemed really enthralled with the magic of it all and we got to see all of our family (my folks and sister came in yesterday and are at home with them today).

But oh... My girls are CLEARLY not used to so many gifts and so much attention, because they were terrors. Awful moods, lots of squabbles, whining, etc. Wore me out.

Is this normal? Any way to combat it in the future or was this an ages-and-stages sort of thing? Their birthday is this weekend and I don't know if I can take another day of the bad behavior. 

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That sounds like our Christmas too; over indulged, no control, fighting, whining, screaming. And the kids were pretty bad too. Seriously though, I think next year we will be toning down the pre-Christmas excitement a little so they're not so amped up.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I definitely think the anticipation added to the meltdowns, I guess I'll have to keep that in mind. Of all the gifts they got, a doll (only one) that is IDENTICAL to one they already had became the coveted toy that they fought over. It was a Secret Santa gift from school (why they needed SS at three is beyond me) and Paul finally took the dang thing away because it was non-stop whining over "sissy isn't sharing!" Gah!

With birthdays this weekend, I'm worried that the present-monster mentality is going to carry over to the new year. A whole week of gifts and then a year of none? Should be AWESOME.

4. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

I actually don't really like what the holidays do to my 4.5 yr old :( Her generally sunny disposition goes out the window with the excitement and overstimulation. This year I've instituted a mandatory rest time after lunch. I don't care if she sleeps but she's had to lie down and be quiet for at least an hour reading or watching a movie or something. Seems to be helping all of us :)

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Following..

We had a fairly quiet Christmas (the way we like it).  Just us, except a few friends who came over for in the afternoon (and brought Santa). The kids are not yet 2 and this is the first year they are starting to figure it out.  We were able to do things at our pace.. we didn't even get into the stockings until this morning.  they had a great time and were really good until... the end of the day when Hannah had 2 temper tantrums.  They were short lived but i know they were about all the excitement and the 'toy spoiling'.  I can only image this will get worse as she gets older.  

Would love to know if anyone has pointers on how to reduce negative swing back!
    so following...

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds about right.  We are somewhat back to normal today - still a good bit of fighting, but less whining thankfully.  My boys got Leappads, so that has REALLY helped today.  We have another Christmas on Friday with DH's dad, who is coming in from out of state, and then their birthday is on Saturday, so I'm sure it will be crazy again.

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had this problem with the Secret Santa thing, too.  In DH's family, each family unit buys for one kid instead of all the kids so that it cuts down on cost (there are 12 kids total under age 14).  Last year, we had more kids than families, so my MIL had both of our boys, and they got the same thing.  Two of the adult cousins had got married this year and were added to the families buying, so our boys got totally different gifts from different aunts and uncles.  They woke us up at 7am this morning screaming and fighting over one of the toys.  UGH. 

The other present wasn't an issue, but this one was a major problem, so we ended up at Target this morning buying a second one (it was a pretty cool gift and only $15, so I didn't mind getting another really)  But the fighting and the whining was ridiculous!!!!

One thing we do is try to spread out the gifts a bit.  My mom brought a few things the week before Christmas, and so did my MIL, so they got some things early.  As far as the whole year, my MIL buys junk all year long, so we don't have that problem - we just have toy overload ALL THE TIME (which is another issue in and of itself).

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds about right here too!!! Add to it that Jack was acting like a super spoiled brat opening presents (grump face when opening socks ect) made my chest tight!!!!! Wish I had advice but I don't. At least were back to normal today!!!

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It wasn't too bad over here this year, but maybe it's because they are older now? Or it could be due to their favorite book last year: The Berenstein Bears and The Green Eyed Monster. I seriously read it 5xs a day every time wee checked it out of the library.

10. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Vivi was completely and totally there.  I'm still unwinding the damage a bit.  And, honestly, it wasn't THAT big of a Christmas for her.  I think the combination of attention, presents, schedule changes, and just plain ole being 3/4 yo took it's toll.  I'll be following this as well since she's got a birthday in a couple months.

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One thing that did help us tremendously: we went out tobogganing yesterday and today. Yesterday they were whining sniveling messes until I got them to the hill and then they were totally excited and happy. Today they were also out of sorts, and as soon as the neighbors called us to go they had their boots on and were ready, and they just ran around in the snow. So getting them outside and taking a break was worth it, even when it seemed like it might end in disaster.

Can I also just mention how much I love my neighbors? They took the boys for a few hours tonight to play with their kids and fed them supper so I could have a bit of a break. Totally saved my life today!