Child-proofing sliding glass doors

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cmharper, Mar 19, 2007.

1. cmharper

cmharper Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a good solution for child-proofing these so that the little ones don't manage to open the door and sneak out?

Carina

2. cmharper

Mods, can you link to 1-5 board as well?

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would check out Safety1st.com and see what solutions they have. They pretty much run the gammut on childproofing. When we were kids my parents had a dowel in the tracks behind the door and that was a safety measure for us as well as security for the house. Also. There are some things you can screw into the tracks for this purpose.

I hope you get some good ideas!

4. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

I second the dowel thing. We have a metal one that hangs about mid-way from the top. It swings down when not in use or latches in the middle when we need it. Right now we just use it for security. I didn't even think about using it for child safety. Bonus!! Woohoo!!

Shannon

5. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

Our doors have a safety feature. When the door is fully closed, you push this metal pin into place and it keeps the door from opening - even if the latch is unlocked. You can also pin it in the open position (about 2-3" open) so you can still get a breeze going. Maybe you can find something similar on safety1st? They have EVERYTHING. Otherwise, I would probably find a way to use the dowel somehow.

6. cmharper

Thanks all. I actually ended up finding this on TotSafe.

I'll let you know how it works! [​IMG]

Carina

7. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We don't have sliding glass doors, but in one of the rooms we spend a lot of time in we have those big mirror doors on the closet that slide & they've just learned how to open them. I was thinking of getting 2 of those little clips they make for the refrigerator doors for each end?

8. Ellensgirls

Ellensgirls Well-Known Member

We have a burglabar which is a plastic L shaped piece that attaches (extremely strong sticker) to a sliding door. Part of it folds down to open and then folds up to lock in place. It is great and very small, only 3 inches by 2 and pretty inconspicuous. We have sliding glass doors for all our closets and this little contraption keeps them all closed and the girls can't get into them. I saw them on a previous posters page in this post from Totsafe #2005. We got ours at a babyproofing store near us for about $6 or $7.

9. twinlove4life

twinlove4life Well-Known Member

we bought a thing for the glass door from onestepahead.com it's a foot activated thing that you have to step on and hold and then open the door. Only adult legs can reach it and still hold the handle. It is so hard to explain, but they only have two options, I would take a look! It works great.