Child-proofing our water cooler

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

we have a water cooler that has two spouts, one for hot and one for cold, we can switch the hot off (as there is a switch on the back) and we have had it off for months. But my DD has just learned how to get the water to come out of the spout, so I have to always watch her so closely otherwise there is water all over the floor in no time! Any ideas on what I can do to "rig" it so that she can't flip the handle up to start the water flow?

or should I just give up trying and move it to an area she doesn't have access to?

Thanks

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I ended up giving up and moving it just on the other side of our baby gate, but still within reach so I could get water out if I needed it. It is so much nicer not having to police the water cooler any longer!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think I would move it out of her reach!

4. caba

caba Banned

We moved it. We have a child proof thingy on the hot side, but not on the cold. And let me tell you, after one too many experiences of a big wet kitchen floor, we moved it. Unfortunately, we don't have a gated area near the kitchen, so it's in the corner of the kitchen, with all crazy stuff around it so they can't get to it.

It look ridiculous, but it works. I'm looking forward to the day were we can move it back out into the old area, cause it's kind of a pain in the butt to get the water from it now ...

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

For your sanity, just move it. Eventually you can live like normal people with normal things in your house, but its just not worth the energy to police curious toddlers.