Child-proof front door - sleepwalking toddler

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DblStuffOreo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

HELP! Twin A has started sleep walking. We have child proofed every door in the house except the front door. Guess where we found her last night? Here is the problem. The "front door" is a solid wood, custom double door (but with only 1 handle - what were we thinking) single piece with two side lights that cost us thousands. I need the door to be locked, but replacing this door isn't just a quick trip to Home Depot. I don't want to screw huge holes into the door if I don't have to. I am not above screwing into the nearby drywall because those holes can be patched and painted, and had even thought of rigging something up above the door, but there is a slight decorative overhang above the door so the wall is about 2 inches behind the door. I can't put a knob cover on it because the lock flip is a separate fron the handle.

Anyone know of a child-proof dead bold flip cover or have any suggestions? HELP!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can you take a picture of it so we can see what it looks like?

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Are you concerned about doing something to the door because of the door's expense or resale purposes? I ask because you could install a slide bolt at the top of the door that pushes up into the door frame- I wouldn't think that would affect the aesthetic or resale?

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about an alarm like this?

5. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Needless to say, I have literally been losing sleep over this, jumping at every sound. In fact, my twins are 2.5 - I was so tired I posted in the second year, instead of 2 - 4. Oops. NEED COFFEE!!! Anyway, we have decided that a cheap quick fix probably won't cut it and the only option is to call the door maker and ask about professionally installed options that match our hardware - which looks like hand fashioned antiqued iron - thus, not a lot of matching, commonly sold options. *sigh* But, as my dad says, is the price of a contractor worth more to me than my kids? No - just not an expense I wanted right before the holidays, which are coming on the heels of a new baby and maternity leave.

I will add pictures soon just in case anyone else is "inspired."

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

This might work depending on how much space you have around the door. We did this for some cabinets that we have that don't have knobs and we don't use that often. Take some velcro straps, wrap it around both doors (threading it between the door and the jam in the space the hinges create) and secure it. Lowe's sells black velcro in 30 ft lengths. I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough. No installation of anything and it should be enough to secure the door from little hands. Plus the sound of the velcro coming apart is pretty loud if they do figure it out!

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Wood can be fixed with wood filler and stain. If you want a more permanent aesthetic solution, you could install a second dead bolt up high enough they cannot reach it. Or have the dead bolt switched out for a keyed dead bolt and hang the key up high.

8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This is entirely too logical and I didn't even think of it- a keyed deadbolt. Seems like the perfect answer.

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

You can have a home security system installed. So if something happen, u will know for sure. I totally understand how worried you are.

My doors all got 2 locks. But my front door got 3. One is way higher above. We always have to lock that one. Once my husband went to got milk. I was cookin in the kitchen. When I got to the living room, I didn't see them. I went to front room, I saw front door opened. I went outside, my kids were out on the porch without my husband. I was so freaked out.... My boy can open all the locks. He can even unlock the door with key. We are about to install more locks on all the doors soon. My doors look so funny with many locks. But after so much troubles, I gave up on how beautiful my house looked :(. Gl!

10. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

This lock mounts to the door frame and then flips over the door. Mount it way up high where it can't be reached. You could even put felt on the inder side of it so that it does not scratch the door. They come in 3 different colors.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Door-Knobs-Hardware-Chain-Locks/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc2ef/R-202258421/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UKh95-S6qSo

This lock would only have holes on the side of the door
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/QuickViewService?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&R=202258456&catEntryId=202258456

11. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

I understand the concern of dealing with a sleepwalking toddler and the need to child-proof the front door. While I don't have personal experience with Lindsay Windows reviews, they might offer suitable solutions for securing the front door. It's essential to find reliable and effective measures to ensure your child's safety during such episodes. Wishing you the best in finding the right solution for your family's needs!