chewing up cribs ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by traci.finley, Jul 30, 2008.

1. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

We have Munire Cribs that the crib protectors don't fit on (oh, if I had only known then what I know now!). I thought we were going to get away without having crib rail chewers ... but then, the day came, we had to lower the mattress and it was just the perfect height ... too tempting for the girls to abstain ...

Anyway, it is pretty much past the point of no return ... so much for the $500 cribs ... two questions ... any ideas apart from wrapping the whole crib in towels/blankets? Also, has anyone ever successfully gotten their cribs refinished after the chewing subsided. These are convertible cribs to go to toddler beds then twin beds ... hmmm ...

I hope the varnish is non-toxic!!! TIA!

2. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me with our cribs. I did find some foam crib protectors that helped a bit, but they left a sticky tape on the crib and fell off after a while and the girls went back to chewing. We did convert ours to toddler beds so that railing is off, but it's definitely annoying. Sorry, I don't have any advice that worked.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I have this same problem - the really nice decorative scrolly end pieces are the perfect height for my daughters to chew on, but no crib rail protector would work on them. I woke up one morning to a huge chipmunk scar on the end of one crib. I think my DD spent all night gnawing away.

I'm not much of a seamstress, but I spent that morning making fabric covers for the ends of the cribs. They're not especially pretty, but they work. Basically it's just a double thickness piece of organic gingham that is wrapped around the end of the crib and sewed up between the slats. My DD still chews on the crib, but now she's chewing on fabric and not getting wood splinters in her mouth.

Hopefully someone else here has refinishing ideas!

4. ckkillman

ckkillman Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Mine chew on the sides. It looks like they are trying to scrape the paint off with their teeth. I'm hoping someone might have an easy solution!

5. Hananielsgirl

Hananielsgirl Well-Known Member

Only one of my girls does this (so far)! I just wrapped a receiving blanket in the spot where she chews.
    Good luck!

6. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

I have Munire cribs too and my girls have chewed them. When they first started I found solid color dish towels that matched their nursery and folded them longways and layed them over the front rail they were chewing. I then cut up one of DH's undershirts into strips and tied the dishtowels down very tight through every slat. I also lined the inside of the folded dish towels with large ziploc bags with the zip cut off so that if they chewed on the dishtowel they would not get the wood wet. This worked really well for a very long time and only one of mine really chewed the sides which I didn't care about since the front of the crib is meant to be the footboard for a bed.

Eventually they started pulling the dishtowels out so I just took them off hoping we were past the chewing stage. Well I would say about 6 months ago Paige took a nice chunk out of her crib and of course it is on the footboard peice and she was not the chewer, go figure. Neither has chewed on the cribs since.

Also, neither of my convertable cribs will fit in the girls new rooms as full size beds so now it doesn't matter.

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i gave up, the cribs now have a 'distressed look.'

8. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(akameme @ Jul 31 2008, 12:35 AM) [snapback]905723[/snapback]

Same with us ... we just gave up, and they kept chewing away. Luckily (I guess!) our cribs were recalled, so we just got brand new cribs, and they don't chew them anymore, so at least they look nice again!

9. JenniferZ

JenniferZ Well-Known Member

10. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

QUOTE(akameme @ Jul 31 2008, 12:35 AM) [snapback]905723[/snapback]

... too funny!

11. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JenniferZ @ Jul 31 2008, 07:54 AM) [snapback]905943[/snapback]
    I get the Right Start catalog and saw this the other day: http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/pro...~item~3732.html

thinking about getting it

Don't bother. We got a couple of these for ours and they peeled them off and tried to eat them AND the crib. They're actually really easy to peel off. We've got crib tents on right now which has halted the rail chewing (they can't get to it), but ultimately, we'll need to get them refinished. I'm thinking a halfway decent furniture repair store could fix most of what we're experiencing.

12. sf

sf Active Member

Hi Traci!

We taped towels around C's crib after he had destroyed most of his crib. B has already destroyed his. We now laugh about it and decided they have personalized beds....we will be able to laugh with them when they are 10 years old and we tell them stories about when they were babies and show them the proof. Sorry, wish I had some advice.