Chewing nails

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by E's 3, Apr 23, 2012.

1. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

DD2 has started chewing her nails. She bites all of them down to the point that they sometimes bleed and look sore a lot of the time. All my kids are very oral and always seem to have something in their mouth, for her it's her fingers. I notice it mostly when she's sitting quietly, during story time, watching TV, in bed before falling asleep, etc. Right now I am not making a big deal out of it, I just remove her fingers from her mouth when I see them in there. Any suggestions to help stop this before it becomes a life long habit?

Thanks!

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

You could get her some of these so she'll have something that she is allowed to chew on. I used to have them for my one DS and even my other DS would chew on them. Then we got a puppy and she liked them as well so now they're in the trash. :faint:

At 4 he still bites his nails. It's been YEARS since I had to cut his finger or toe nails.

My other DS is a major thumb sucker and he already has a huge overbite.

I noticed as he's gotten older, he does not chew his nails as much as he used to.

3. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I had one that chewed her nails so much I didn't cut them for about two years. If I noticed her, I would just ask her to stop, but wouldn't make a big deal about it. She eventually stopped on her own.

I did use painting her nails as a positive reward once her nails grew enough for me to cut them! That didn't really make a huge difference, but it was fun.