Chewable vitamins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by vharrison1969, Dec 17, 2010.

1. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

For a year I've been giving my guys multivitamin drops with fluoride; we have well water so we need a prescription vitamin for this. The last time I tried to get it renewed, the pharmacist told me they no longer make a multi drop with fluoride; they only have chewables. I think that's kind of crazy (how can you get a 1 year old to chew a vitamin? :unknw:), but obviously I don't have any options.

The pharmacist said these chewables are "crushable" (not like gummies) so I can put them in food. My question is, are my guys old enough to chew a vitamin, or should I crush them? At what age did your LOs chew vitamins?

Thanks!! :)

2. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Mine have been chewing the gummy ones for a couple months now. I also give them a small Vit D pill that just dissolves on their tongues.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd crush it if you can. Unfortunately we gave up on most vitamins here because there was no way for my kids to take them, they don't finish drink or food constantly, and don't like gummies (only my kids I swear!).

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Mine have been chewing vitamins since around 2. What sort of consistency are they? The probiotic I give my kids is chewable, but it's basically melt in your mouth. It feels hard, but I ate one once and it just dissolved. The other one I give them is DHA which is a gel filled one. I worried about it at first and watched them really carefully, but they think it's candy. They love them!

5. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I grew up on well water and vividly remember the little pink fluoride pill. It was tiny! Not sure if they are still that small?? If I think really hard, I have recollections of my mom crushing it and putting it in my milk...

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Our doctor switched us from the drops to the chewable ones at 2. My girls have no trouble chewing them up. They have them with their smoothie at breakfast.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think they should be able to chew them no problem. Mine have been doing great with regular chewables and gummies since about 2. Give it a try and see how they do.

8. vharrison1969

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone! I will give the chewables a try and see how they do. If it doesn't work out I'll crush them. :good:

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I'd just let the kids chew them. They probably taste pretty good.

We started giving our girls gummy vitamins around age 3. Neither of them ever had a tendency to choke, and they always ate their vitamins at the table with us sitting right there.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD has been using chewable vitamins since she turned two. I could not stand the poly vi sol drops with iron, so Flintstones with iron was a better trade off for the both of us. My DS, however, dislikes chewable vitamins and only likes the gummy kind.

11. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I remember taking the chewable fluride. It was very tiny. My mom would crush it up and give it to me with a spoonfull of grapejuice.

I saw this thread and even though mine aren't two yet was curious about the responses. My boys take a chewy DHA supplement and have since they were about 16 months. But I am thinking about asking the doctor to switch their Singulair to the chewable next month. I have a horrible time getting it down them in the granular form. So was interested to see what others did with chewable meds after 2.

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 2 my two started chewing the My First Flintstones vitamins. They are smaller than the regular Flintstone vitmains.

13. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls take the My First Flintstones vitamins every day. They started around 2.5. They think they are candy, they love vitamins. I have to fight with them about the fact they can each only have 1.

14. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Maybe try calling another pharmacy. I know Walgreens around here carries the liquid vitamin. Can't you buy the liquid over the counter? I give mine the gummy bear ones now.

15. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Our Pedi suggested we waited until they we're at least 2 before we gave them chewables. They were on the polyvi drops with iron until then. Our Pedi suggested we wait because our boys were doing the crushing movement with their molars and not the 'chewing' motion. We now give them my first flinstones and they do fine.

16. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we've been doing gummy vites since about 2.5 so they should be ok...the my first Flintstones also crumble up easily in the mouth...

17. vharrison1969

Well it turns out that the pill the doctor ordered from the pharmacy was a multivitamin with fluoride, NOT just a fluoride pill. I guess I was confused. :fool: I gave the boys each one yesterday and told them to bite down, and they chewed them up quite nicely. In fact Nate asked for more! :lol: So I guess they're ready!

Thanks again! :give_rose: