Cheese sensitivity/allergy?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TennesseeMomma, Jan 30, 2010.

1. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

It seems as though every time I give my DD cheese, she gets very congested. She has no other symptoms - no bad diapers, or runny nose - just congested. I think it is cheese, but this doesn't make sense to me. If she were allergic to cheese, wouldn't she have an allergy to the formula she is on? She also eats yogurt every day. She is on Good Start Formula and was partially breastfed until 7 months.

I want to start working the twins off of formula to milk since their one year birthday is coming up - but I don't know what to do? I think my mom told me I was allergic to milk (I got all congested too) when I was little...but the doc told her it was something the cows ate in Arkansas (seriously! he said that!) and so when we moved to Iowa when I was 5 she put me back on milk and I was fine. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

Thanks for the help and/or thoughts...

2. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Because milk is a secretion, it can cause increased mucous secretions when eaten. I was a nutrition/biology major and from what I remember, everyone experiences an increase in secretions when consuming dairy, its just a different amount in every person. If she doesn't have any other symptoms, I wouldn't be too concerned about an allergy.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would talk to your Ped about the congestion and the transition from formula to milk. :good:

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would double check with the ped too. I've never really known anyone who was sensitive to cheese but could drink milk & eat yogurt without problems. :pardon: