Changed formula...not good..

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by melissak, Feb 8, 2008.

1. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

So Ryan seemed very fussy after he ate and had lots of gurgling in his belly, etc so the DR recommended we change formula to Isomil, they had been doing Enfamil Lipel. So today we did two bottles this morning of the Isomil and then this afternoon he was napping in the bouncy seat. Well, he threw up ALL over himself..I mean...it was EVERYWHERE and thank goodness he was sittting in the bouncy and not sleeping in the crib. Anyway, he also seems to have a rash now on his face and is feeling warm though does not have a temperature. So this last bottle (he hasn't want to eat much the rest of the day), we fed him the Enfamil again and he was fine. Now I'm scared to go back to the Isomil....should I just stick it out with the Enfamil? Maybe I should have slowly switched over to the other formula....I hadn't even THOUGHT about that until after this happened.
    Not sure what to do....

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I think when you are changing formula you are supposed to do the transition gradually by adding 1 bottle of the new formula daily every 2 days. So you would give the baby 1 bottle of the new formula for 2 days, then after the 2 days you would go to 2 bottles of the new formula for 2 days etc...until eventually the baby is getting every bottle of the new formula. That way your baby has a chance to adjust to the change. This is what we had to do when my girls went from Neosure to Enfamil, and they did very well with the change. HTH

3. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Feb 8 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]613485[/snapback]
    I think when you are changing formula you are supposed to do the transition gradually by adding 1 bottle of the new formula daily every 2 days. So you would give the baby 1 bottle of the new formula for 2 days, then after the 2 days you would go to 2 bottles of the new formula for 2 days etc...until eventually the baby is getting every bottle of the new formula. That way your baby has a chance to adjust to the change. This is what we had to do when my girls went from Neosure to Enfamil, and they did very well with the change. HTH

Thanks! We will try that!

4. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We switched formula a lot because we used all of our free samples. The best way for us was to replace one oz of the old formula with new formula every 1-2 days. That way the transition was very gradual. Formulas all taste different as well so making the change this way lessened the taste difference and the babies never noticed.

5. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

If he took it without protest and THEN spit it all up, he may have a soy allergy. Isomil is the soy version, isn't it?

6. skitles

skitles Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Zabeta @ Feb 9 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]614304[/snapback]
    If he took it without protest and THEN spit it all up, he may have a soy allergy. Isomil is the soy version, isn't it?

This was my thought, too.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would give it a few days before you give up on it. It could be just the change that upset his little tummy. But, there are a lot of babies that have an intolerance to both milk-based and soy formulas, and need a hypoallergenic.

8. annieuetz

annieuetz Well-Known Member

I would suggest Alimentum or Nutramigen. My girls both have a dairy allergy and had a soy allergy when they were little. They couldn't handle anything but Nutrimagin and looking back I think they should have been on neocate. Alimentum I think has a little soy in it which why they couldn't handle it. Nutramigen is milk based which is why I think they should have been on neocate. They did so much better once they were completely off formula at a year.

9. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

We played formula roulette the first couple months. Enfamil Lipil tore my girls up. Nutramagen fried Amber's bottom with massive diaper rash and runny poo. Emily was amazingly pretty resilient with regard to feedings although she did spit up really bad. Amber did too but also was colicy. I ended up going on my own and switched them to Similac Isomil Advance Soy. You can switch them all at once without "introducing" new formula but it is recommended that, as long as there are no severe reactions, like what it sounds like one or both of yours had, you have to give a new formula a week or two in order to see if it is going to correct or minimize feeding problems. Turned out that part of my problem ended up being that Amber was quite consitpated so the combination of switching to the soy formula and adding a little MOM to her bottle helped. The spitting up was minimized but still was a regular occurance since that is something that they eventually grow out of. Just have lots of clean bibs handy. I also ended up added rice cereal to their bottles to thicken it so that minimized the quantity that was spit up. The amount of rice cereal was something that had to played around with until I figured out what worked best for them. We did this (along with the MOM whenever there seemed to be hard stool, "rabbit pellets", or no stool at all) until they were 12 months old and then maybe even a month long for Emily. Just remember that whatever you choose, you have to give it time to work, but you'll know deep down if it's just absolutely not right.

10. coveytwins

coveytwins Well-Known Member

We had to play the formula game with our son. For my daughter the immediate switch from Similac to Good Start made all the difference with her. With my son we tried Similac Sensitive and then Enfamil Lactofree then Enfamil Gentlease was our winner. There was a few others we tried..also soy which gave him diahrea. I found it best to transition but we didn't always do that either. I wouldn't try one that made the baby vomit like that. That is a big red flag.