Change or not to change diapers during the night?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SC, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

My twin boys go to bed around 7:30p and they get up around 7:30a. They do wake a couple of times each during the night, but are easily put back to sleep with pacifiers or some rearranging in their cribs.
    My question is, recently I've been noticing their diapers are absolutely soaked in the mornings, more so than even a few weeks back, likely because their feeds increase as they get older.
    I have never changed diapers in the middle of the night because they never seemed terribly soaked in the mornings. And, because they have never acted uncomfortable.
    I have used a size bigger, too, for better absorption when I saw someone on here recommend that.
    Anyway, what do you do? Do you wake them to change them (one of my boys may sleep through it but I doubt the other will)? Do you leave them? Do you change them only if they wake?

Thanks.
    Mom to 8 1/2 month old mono-di boys (5 1/2 months adjusted).

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I only changed them if they woke up and I used the nighttime huggies. Much more absorbent than anything else we used. Or occasionally if Alice had diaper rash.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

try using a nighttime diaper (like pampers baby dry) that is one size larger. if they are leaking out, i would change them. if their diapers are just very wet, i would not change them unless they complained.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never changed wet diapers in the night unless they were leaking. It always seemed to wake them up too much & they had trouble getting back to sleep.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Same here. :good:

6. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Or if there is no. 2 in there...

7. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

i do the same as cat mommy, pampers overnight diapers one size bigger. no middle of the night changes if we can help it. uninterrupted sleep is good.

8. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody. I would prefer not to change them for risk of waking them up. I went out and bought some nighttime diapers this afternoon (Baby Dry didn't work for us; I actually found them to be the wettest of all in the morning). Hope they do the trick!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If you're using 1 size larger diapers and they're still leaking, try Diaper Doublers. I think they're mainly intended for cloth diapers, but my SIL uses them with disposables and they help a lot.

I never liked Baby Dry either, FWIW. We used Huggies overnights.

10. lalique

lalique Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem. Gonna try to get some nighttime diapers ASAP.

11. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Baby Dry were the wettest for us too! I just switched to a larger sized regular diaper at night - we still do that to this day.

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me too, once they started sleeping through the night, unless it smelt poopy, I never changed them until morning!