Cereal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Nov 22, 2012.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Is it too early? My boys will be 3 months next Wednesday. They just don't seem completely satisfied after eating, and are back to waking multiple times a night. How would be the best way to go about it?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For me, yup, too early. 6 months is the earliest I would start solids & even then I prefer to delay it as long as possible. There are many reasons, not hunger related, that 3 month olds would be waking more at night.

3. rayceryin12

What other reasons? They don't seem gassy or anything. No real signs of reflux. I just want to fix it so we all get some good sleep!

4. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Night waking can be so tricky. 3 mos would also seem too early for cereal to me. Are they breastfed? My breastfed twins starting waking frequently again around 3 mos, and I suspect it was to get some extra cuddle time from Mom (I had gone back to work right around then). They would nurse, but didn't seem that hungry; they just wanted my attention. If that's the case, a bit of cosleeping may help. If they are on formula and you think they are still hungry after feedigs, you could always up their amount. Good luck!!

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I didn't start my two on cereal until 4 months and that's only because they were already sitting up pretty well with assistance and they seemed really interested in food itself. They now eat 3 puree feedings a day and still wake up at night. ;) If they are working on a developmental milestone (rolling over, etc), that could be part of why they are waking up. Unfortunately, that's something you just have to wait through.

6. rayceryin12

Yeah, just wanted to see everyone's thoughts. It won't last forever!! ;-)

7. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I agree with PP. honestly my two have been on cereal for reflux for a while now and I haven't seen a change in their sleep until the last 2 weeks which I think is more age related than cereal related. Will they take more at a feeding? My twins seemed to be waking multiple tines a night to feed around 2.5 months and now they take their bottle at 7 and sleep till 3 or 4 am ... If only we could get that a littke later and have them sleep till 5 or 6! Lol!

8. rayceryin12

We try to get them to take more, but they fall asleep! What everyone said makes sense, we will be waiting until at least 4 months.

9. AKilburn

Yeah that how mine are they're still pretty much only taking 4 oz, occasionally 6 oz. I haven't done this but I know a bunch of people that swear by a dream feed around 9 or 10, have you thought about that?

10. rayceryin12

We actually do that too!

They did better last night....I think they might be growing. They are eating 5-6 oz every 3 hours and sleeping terribly.

11. AKilburn

Yeah sounds like a growth spurt! Good luck girl!!!

12. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

This is a rough one and everyone has their own opinion. I have occasionally introduced the boys to cereal while I think they go to sleep easier I don't believe they sleep better. They are eating between 5-6 ounces every 3 hrs and sleep from around 9 pm to about 3-4 am. This just started about a week ago when we moved them into their crib. Also I have a question lol. Your boys are identical right? Just curious about their size and looks. My boys have almost the exact facial features but they look different because jaydon has way more hair and has stayed about a pound bigger than his brother. How are yours ?

13. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

The cereal never helped my children (my singles not twins) sleep better. But you hear both sides. Some it helped some not. Too me it's just a pain to deal with cereal/solids. I started early (3-4) with all my singletons but it was 6-9m before my girl twins really started solids. It's just more work to me.

14. rayceryin12

Mine don't look identical. One's face is much chubbier than the other. It makes them look a lot different.