Cerclage on Thursday

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by gina_leigh, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

So we found out on Friday that my cerclage is being put in on Thursday. We knew going into this pregnancy that I'd get one. (Had a rescue cerclage done at 22wks w/twins and was on hospital bed rest for 13wks. But my cervix held until they cut it out and I had the twins 3 days later.)

I'm just nervous I guess. I'm so worried about bed rest this time around, especially with the kids. I don't know what to expect Thursday. I am meeting with the doctor tomorrow for my pre-op appt and will get a chance to ask all the questions I want, so I hope eases my nerves a little. Before I was mainly focused on the when and after. I never thought much about the actual procedure until the nurse called and said, "Ok! We got you in for Thursday morning." I think my immediate response was, "Oh sh!t!" I'm not sure why, since like I said, we knew this was coming.

I really just want a drama-free pregnancy this time.

Has anyone else had a preventative cerclage done?

Also, I know I'm only 12wks, but my belly feels big and fat. I haven't gained any weight yet, but this week it just feels really really bloated.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

*hugs* I haven't had one but my MIL did for her second baby. She carried him to term without any issues. Keep us posted!

3. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I haven't had one myself but several friends have. In general, a preventative cerclage has a higher success rate and lower chance for complications than a rescue cerclage. You should be back to regular activity in no time.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thinking of you Gina and wishing you all the best!

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Thanks ya'll!

My appt today did help to ease some of my nerves. They aren't putting me to sleep. I'll get an epidural. And honestly, even though I've had two, I'm most nervous about that part of it! I know everything will be fine though.
    She said that I'll need to rest and take things really easy for a few days (shh! she said 48hrs, I'm telling everyone 3 days :D ) but after that I can resume normal activity. Just nothing crazy. And since we live in a two-story, she said to limit the stairs.

They will monitor the baby's heart beat before, throughout, and after the procedure. I think that will go a long way to easing my nerves tomorrow too. And Chris will get to be with me all day except for the few minutes in the OR. The procedure itself only takes 10 minutes or so, but the epidural will take forever to wear off.
    I'll keep ya'll posted!

Thanks for the encouragement and support!