Celebrating one year

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by FGMH, May 18, 2015.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our Sunday baby is one today and it is a day full of sweet thankful memories for us!

I also want to celebrate breastfeeding him for one year which was my first breastfeeding goal: He was born knowing how to nurse and apart from one episode with a very bad drop in my supply during his stay in hospital at 10 weeks the first 6-7 months of breastfeeding him were easy. Then we had a couple of rocky months because he started using me as a teether biting me until there was blood and using me as a pacifier all night. Luckily once he cut all his incisors things got a lot better and we are back to a happy nursing relationship with all the sweet, peaceful, cuddly moments, with lots of fun nursing moments and with a lot of nursing gymnastics that I don't enjoy as much as he does.

He still feeds in the morning when he gets up, at naptime (before and after usually) and at bedtime. He also does quite a bit of quick comfort nursing during the day (mostly 4-5 sucks or so to trigger a letdown and then he is off and toddling again leaving me to deal with the flood of milk) and a couple of times during the night. We are doing mostly BLW for solids and he loves picking off my plate and tries lots of things. He is also starting to feed himself with a spoon, mostly fruit purees and yoghurt which we started offering around 11 months because he loves it and will otherwise try to eat it with his hands from my breakfast bowl.

I hope we can go on having such a relaxed nursing relationship for another year or so although - to my dismay - my DH has started making noises about weaning already, but as he also loves the convenience of my being able to nurse anywhere and anytime when we are out and about with the big kids I am hoping to avoid any serious discussions about weaning for a while yet.

So, I wanted to say thank you for all the support on this great forum and to share our success.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on the milestone! :yahoo: I love breastfeeding toddlers - I wish you both many sweet, cuddly moments over the next year. ❤️

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Well done.