Car Ride Tortures

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rinaownsu, Aug 20, 2014.

1. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

The girls ALWAYS cry during car rides. I have checked their car seat many times and made sure they are comfortable. Sometimes one is calm but the other cries hysterically. They take turns. I have bought car seat toys, mirrors, etc. I also play spa music to soothe them. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ear plugs.

I assume Alice had motion sickness when she was a baby. Every time we went somewhere, she cried miserably. It went away when we turned them around at a year. But that's not the recommendation now. So ear plugs for you.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh, ALL of my kids did this. My twins screamed until I got onto the highway then would fall asleep. Then once I got off the highway they'd scream again.

My daughter was worse- she never stopped.

Eventually they did stop screaming.... I want to say past 6 months and before a year. We also turned ours around at 1, so that my have helped.

Mostly, I just had to develop a thick skin about it and try to ignore it the best I could. Sometimes turning on the radio and purposefully singing along helped me not get too anxious. Oh, & driving like a bat out of hell... ;)

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Try kids music instead of spa music.  For some reason listening to other kids was soothing to my kids.  Also, do you have toys hanging from their car seats?  That helps some, too. 

Mine were also fussy in the car at that age - it will pass, but I know it hard to deal with.

5. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I have no advice but my two were horrible car riders as infants as well and it wasn't just in the car.  Screamed from the moment we put them into the infant carriers until we not only arrived at the destination but they were removed from the carseat.  The nice little infants in stores all cute and silent in their infant carrier/stroller.  Never ever happened.  Not one single time.   I would have to wear one and prop one in the cart.  We would drive to my parents house 3 hours away and it was just pure hell.  3 hours of screaming.  It did not matter what we did.  We tried taking turns in the back seat with them.  Singing, CDs, bottles etc.  Nothing. 

The only thing that finally helped was when around age 1 we got rear facing convertable carseats and moved them out of the infant carriers.  It was like a flip of a switch.  They could see out the window and were happy as larks.  Literallly screaming in their infant carriers to happy and giggling in rear facing convertables.  They even ended up rear facing until they were 4 1/2 years old.  

Edit: Buy ear plugs

6. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

Yes I got them hanging toys for their car seats and also put mirrors on the headrest infront of them so they can see themselves. Still nothing. I have a feeling as long as they remain rear facing that's how they are going to be.

I will definitely buy ear plugs!!!!!!! Thank you everyone.