Can't use baby wipes for the first 3 months?!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnholman, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

So, here I am being a first time mom and preparing myself by taking these silly classes. I am in the Newborn care class and the instructor says, "The reason why so many newborns get rashes are because we use wipes. Do not use wipes for the first 3 months." OMG, what am I supposed to use? The instructor said we should use a cotton ball/washcloth with water. WHat, that does not sound right to me.

What did you experienced ladies do?

Thank you for your input,
    Jenn

2. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 15 2009, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1190699[/snapback]
    The instructor said we should use a cotton ball/washcloth with water

Um has she ever changed a babies diaper?!? I've never heard of this- I'm interested to see what people say.

I know in the NICU they use a cloth thing (Like a soft napkin) with warm water, but I just figured that was because it's easier for them.

3. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tarin @ Feb 15 2009, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1190705[/snapback]
    Um has she ever changed a babies diaper?!?

The instructor is a Mom of twin boys.....

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have never heard that. MY girls spent 10 weeks in the NICU and they used wipes in there? We didn't have a diaper rash in the first 3 months?!

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that before. The first wipes we used were the ones they had in the hospital. :unknw:

6. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

Grandt is almost five pounds and eats 40 mLs of breast milk every 3 hours, yesterday he had the most explosive poop that it was literally squirting out of his diaper. She expects someone to clean that with a cotton ball?!?! I say wipes are fine!

7. shandy

shandy Well-Known Member

with my first, I heard that too.. and I did it! it was so not fun...
    with the subsequent 5... I have used wipes... no problems.

I'm sure there are some newborns with more sensitive skin that wipes might irritate... but for the general population, I feel it's fine... jmo

8. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I have actually heard that a couple times, but most people use wipes--and they used them in the hospital. My boys are almost 6 weeks old, we've been using wipes and they've been fine. If anything, maybe use Sensitive/hypoallergenic wipes at first.
    Some people do prefer to use cloth wipes, but not me! ;)

9. Joanna G

Joanna G Well-Known Member

I remember they used warm, wet washcloths in while we were in the hospital, but we used wipes when we got home. We did always use the sensitive kind though.
    Maybe she's an environmentalist.

10. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

We have used wipes since our babies were born and they haven't had a red bum once, let alone a rash. I do use penaten cream liberally and I swear by it. My friends and family are all impressed at how nice our baby's bums are. Don't worry what others tell you. You can decide for yourself what works for your situation. I do have some very small washclothes that I have used on occasion and I have a friend who only uses them. With twins, I don't think it's worth the time to get them moist with warm water, and then to have to wash them and fold them so I don't use them in that way. Hope that helps.

11. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jenn Bland @ Feb 15 2009, 04:51 PM) [snapback]1190708[/snapback]
    The instructor is a Mom of twin boys.....

Lol...yeah, and ask her if she used baby wipes *at home*....bet she did! She has to give the info the doc/hosp makes her give. They say the same thing here in the UK. I just stared at the nurse when she brought me in a basket of cotton balls. I was like..Yeah. That's gonna happen. Hand me the Pampers Sensitives. :D

12. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Lily was getting terrible diaper rash the first week, like actual raw spots and our ped. said only to use wipes after a BM. He said a pee diaper is very sterile and the alcohol & ingredients in the wipes can cause severe diaper rash. We have been doing that ever since. Hardly any diaper rash incidents. Only the occassional pinkness, which a little Desitin or A & D clears up in a day. Plus we are saving $$ on the the wipes.

13. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

What?! That is.. INTERESTING to say the least! I think I would be lost without wipes ESPECIALLY in the first few months

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is interesting. We used wipes since they were born but we always use the sensitive or unscented kind.

15. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We CD, and have always used cloth wipes with plain water. Water is always going to be less irritating (and much cheaper!) than a bunch of chemicals - but obviously, plenty of babies do fine with wipes. It's up to you! If wipes give your babies a rash, you can always switch to plain water.

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They used wipes at the hospital :p

I'm sure water and washcloths is better - no doubt. I just can imagine the huge mess it would make if I tried to wash my babies with a wet washcloth...

17. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I´ve used baby wipes from day 1 and neither baby has ever had a rash. I think the key is to use plenty of nappy cream which helps to prevent nappy rash.

FYI: nappy = diaper (Im British) ;)

18. lisa69bubbles

lisa69bubbles Member

So, here I am being a first time mom and preparing myself by taking these silly classes. I am in the Newborn care class and the instructor says, "The reason why so many newborns get rashes are because we use wipes. Do not use wipes for the first 3 months." OMG, what am I supposed to use? The instructor said we should use a cotton ball/washcloth with water. WHat, that does not sound right to me.

Thank you for your input,
    Jenn

OK.... Then apparently my mothers experience 40 years ago with 3 kids was highly unusual. She told me that she would wash us under the sink with tap water with a cloth and we still got rashes, that was also with cotton diapers, not disposables. I found that using pure formula, the rashes are worse than pure breast milk or with just a little added formula to thicken it.

19. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

They didn't use wipes in our hospital, but that's probably because they didn't have any. When my babies were 3 weeks old I asked if I could bring wipes and they said "sure".

I used and still use the Pampers Sensitive. We haven't had any rashes over here yet.

20. becky5

becky5 Guest

I used wipes with all 5 kids, and had no issues. Of course we had a rash here and there, but I don't believe it was due to the wipes.

21. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We've always used Sensitive wipes. I don't know anyone personally who has used anything else. If you think wipes will work for you, I would suggest using those. GL!

22. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I don't know what the nurses used (no rooming-in with a c/s), but the hospital gave me dry wipes that I had to wet in the sink.

Once home I used regular wet wipes and never had issues. DS2 and DD2 actually had sensitive skin, and I still never had any problems using wipes.

23. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's just b/c you don't want to put their butt in the diaper while it's still wet. Use wipes and keep some dry cloths on the change table so you can dry off their little booties after you wipe them, before you put the diaper on.

24. MonicaBaker

MonicaBaker Well-Known Member

I never have had any diaper rash issues and use wipes for every single diaper change. My girls were born at 32 weeks and even the NICU used wipes... I don't think it hurts to use wipes for the first 3 months, but obviously if your child is getting a frequent rashes you should try something different.

25. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

Never heard of that. I have always used wipes with no problem. We did use the sensitive at first though.

26. andbabiesmake4

andbabiesmake4 Active Member

The only thing they told us was to not use powder anymore. My girls never had diaper rash in their first 3 months and we used wipes. They even used them in the hospital.

27. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I've used wipes from day 1 and so did the hospital nursery. We used Pampers Sensitive Skin when really little and occasionally now. We also use Huggies. We tried the Wal Mart brand and they're so rough compared to the others and they did give my babies rashes. Use wipes!! LOL Forget that cotton ball stuff and a wash cloth just sounds like a LOT of dirty laundry.

28. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

We've always used an unscented brand of diaper wipes. Even some diapers can cause diaper rash. None of my kids could use Huggies. If by chance they got a diaper rash then for a few days we just use water and a cloth plus Desitin.

I had never ever heard that about cotton balls. That would stress me out trying to clean them up with them.

29. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Mine are 15 months old and never a diaper rash. always used wipes. you might try the wipes on yourself to make sure they don't sting. We also don't have any skin issues in our family. (ezema, etc.)

30. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We used warm water in the NICU and a bit when we got home and then we went to Pampers Sensitive Wipes without issue.

31. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

used wipes. :p

although we do use the sensitive skin wipes. plus if it's a light peepee diaper we let the boys air dry and don't wipe.

32. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

they didn't give us wipes in the hospital, told us warm water and cotton balls.

We usually do use wipes, although I have stopped using them for pee diapers...we use huggies sensitive or something (oddly the pampers sensitive didn't work for us).

Another note, we switched to 7th generation diapers for awhile (a more organic diaper) and they got horrible rashes because they weren't as absorbent.

33. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Before I had my first DD, I heard this and refused to use wipes. Once I started, I never looked back!! None of my kids had any problem.

I guess it depends on the baby!

34. daniv

daniv Well-Known Member

I had never heard of the cotton balls and water until my boys got really bad diaper rash. It was actually a yeast infection on one of the boys. My pedi said this would be a big help to him getting well. I did it for a few days and after that we switched brands of diapers and changed wipes to sensitive. Since then that is all that I have used on my boys and have had some trouble. I would start with sensitive wipes. Pampers and Huggies both offer them.

35. Mommy2BofTwins

Mommy2BofTwins Well-Known Member

at the doc's first appt they had rashes and the doc told me not to use baby wipes and to use cotton balls, so i have been using cotton balls since then.

when they were little i used cotton balls and now i just wash them in the bathroom sink and dry them with a wash cloth n then diaper. never had a rash after that, n now my hubby doesn;t want me to use wipes. We only use wipes when we go out somewhere otherwish wash n put the diaper on :)

hope this helps