Can you use chloraseptic spray with babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by shelley79, Apr 20, 2008.

1. shelley79

shelley79 Well-Known Member

My poor little Jenna has adenovirus and her throat is covered in sores. She is hurting so bad. Does anyone know if you can use chloraseptic spray in babies? The bottle says "Under 3 ask a doctor". TIA.

2. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Don't know but an idea would be to use orajel and use a cue tip to put it back there and Iwould think it would do the same thing.

3. threetimesblessed

threetimesblessed Active Member

I don't have a bottle handy, but I would say no. It used to contain alcohol, so that would be bad for a little one. Not sure if the formulation is still the same.

4. threetimesblessed

threetimesblessed Active Member

Just looked up the ingredients online and it says alcohol free...but I would still ask a doctor first. Does your ped. have a after hours service?

5. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so, especially after all of the news that you shouldn't even use cold medicine.

6. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I would ask a doctor. :pardon:

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor baby-I hope she feels better soon!
    I am a little more open to trying things, be it at very small amounts. We did spray some of that in my dd throat when she was very young and she had a bad cough and it seemed like it was because her throat was irritated. It worked and she lived. Please note that we didnt use it more then once a day (at night) for no more then a few days. I am no doctor, I just get desperate sometimes and feel like doctors dont always help...I figured that there was no alcohol in it so how bad can a small amount be? A pp mentioned oral gel and I am pretty sure this is the same thing.

8. snoba

snoba Member

My pediatrician actually recommends it. The first time I went to get some (this was with my DD), I asked the pharmacist if there was a special kind for infants (there isn't), and he asked if she had teeth. He said he would be afraid that she might bite her tongue. I told the Dr. about it next time and he seemed to think the pharmacist was full of it. So, pedi says yes, pharmacist no, clear as mud, right?

FTR, we never used it. We've always seemed to be able to get by without it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

B.A.
    DD 2-28-05
    Identical boys born 8-24-07 @ 38 weeks