Can you return unopened formula? Update in original post

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by summerfun, Feb 6, 2007.

1. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does anyone know if you can return a can of formula if it has not been opened? I bought a can at Walmart this weekend thinking we would need another can, are are transitiong to whole milk. But I don't think we will need to open it. [​IMG] I was hoping I'd be able to return it if we didn't need it. Anyone know or try to do this?

Thanks.

Update:
    Ok, so DH just went to Walmart and there is a sign at Customer Service that says federal law prohibits returning formula. He then said that I knew some people that have, but they would not take it back. Strange if it's federal law that some people on here have been able to return/exchange it.

2. summerfun

Does anyone know if you can return a can of formula if it has not been opened? I bought a can at Walmart this weekend thinking we would need another can, are are transitiong to whole milk. But I don't think we will need to open it. [​IMG] I was hoping I'd be able to return it if we didn't need it. Anyone know or try to do this?

Thanks.

Update:
    Ok, so DH just went to Walmart and there is a sign at Customer Service that says federal law prohibits returning formula. He then said that I knew some people that have, but they would not take it back. Strange if it's federal law that some people on here have been able to return/exchange it.

3. Kateyes2022

Kateyes2022 Well-Known Member

I've never returned formula before. I have exchanged it for a different kind though. Wal-Mart will usually take back anything. I would at least try. I am glad your twins had a good transition to whole milk.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Do you have the receipt? If so, there should be no problem. They probably won't let you without the receipt.

5. summerfun

Great, thanks ladies. I do have the receipt!! I always save those!!! I didn't want to have to waste anymore money on that stuff!!

6. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

Just this past weekend I tried to exchange an unopened can of parent's choice (walmart's brand) of formula and they would not take it back. Said they couldn't take formula back. I did have my receipt but they still refused to take it. It was a mistake on my part that I grabbed the wrong can, all of the parent's choice cans are purple and look similar. My walmart has always been great about taking anything back, but maybe your walmart might be a little more accomodating.

7. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Like Becky said if you have the receipt it shouldn't be an issue.

8. Carpathia

Carpathia Well-Known Member

I would think you can return it. I've only done this at Costco though, don't know about walmart.

9. mom2reagan+two

mom2reagan+two Well-Known Member

I have done it many times. My babies have gone from Enfacare to Nutramigen to Alimentum to Soy. Of course I buy a lot at one time so when a switch came I would have more than I needed and I always got my money back from Wally World with a receipt...

10. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

I don't see why it would be a problem especially since you have a receipt. It is certainly worth a try. If you're unsuccessful you could also try to sell it to someone in your area. Good luck!

11. annabell

annabell Well-Known Member

I tried to return liquid formula to Walmart and they refused to take it back even with the receipt. They said people have been using it to coat capsules for some illegal drug [​IMG] . They said they only return/exchange powdered formula. Target took back everything.

12. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

Babies R Us let me exchange formula without a reciept. They will only let you exchange formula for formula, not a store credit. It also cannot be expired. This helped since I had received lots of formula before my boys were born.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you can only exchange it - not return it due to the WIC program...

I guess unscrupulous people will use WIC to buy formula then return it for money...

you can only exchange one kind of formula for another...

14. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Selling it on eBay usually works well. My oldest used to be on Similac Advance, later Isomil, but I still had 3 cans left that I bought on Amazon for around $16 ... sold them for $20 each!!!

15. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

HMM. It seems that every Walmart is different. Mine will only return or exchange formula with a reciept. I tried to exchange Enfamil for Good Start because that it what the babies switched to. Someone got us some Enfamil and of course didnt save the reciept and they would'nt let me do it.

But since you said that you have the reciept they should let you.

16. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Sofiesmom:
    Selling it on eBay usually works well. My oldest used to be on Similac Advance, later Isomil, but I still had 3 cans left that I bought on Amazon for around $16 ... sold them for $20 each!!!

Thats what I did with mine only got $11 for 2 cans but its better than nothing.

17. summerfun

Hmm, now I'm wondering. It is interesting how so many people have had so many different experiences with it. I will take store credit if they will give me that. My MIL comes up tomorrow to watch the twins so I can volunteer in my oldest DD's class, so I will run to Walmart after and try it. I will post back here what happened. Thanks ladies!!

18. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I returned formula at both BRU and Target with no problem...at target I didn't even have my reciept...they just check your credit card that you paid with at the time...

19. becky5

becky5 Guest

quote:
    you can only exchange it - not return it due to the WIC program...

Amy, that's the reason I was given as well.

20. becky5

becky5 Guest

And I just realized I contradicted myself.....sorry! I think amyntony is right, only an exchange, and only with receipt due to wic.

21. delby23

delby23 Well-Known Member

i returned unopened Enfamil to target with a receipt just last week.

22. LesaB

LesaB Well-Known Member

I just returned two cans of Parents Choice Soy formula that I bought on accident. (Wal-Mart) They didn't say anything and just refunded my money. Hope you don't have a problem. [​IMG]

23. summerfun

Update in original post. [​IMG]

24. becky5

becky5 Guest

[​IMG]Maybe you can sell it?

25. summerfun

Well I just called Walmart corporate office and they said it is up to each store, so it is obviously not federal law. I did a search about federal law against returning baby formula and found nothing.

DH said he would go back and raise *ell and speak to a manager. So we'll se what happens then. We have 2 Walmarts in town so maybe we can try the other walmart too.

If not probably will try to sell it.

26. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

I'll update my experience as well. We went to another walmart in town and they did let me exchange my formula, but only for another can. She wasn't going to let me do it at first but we pleaded and I explained to her that all of the walmart brands are in a purple can and I picked up the wrong can by mistake. I think she finally let me do it becuase she wanted to get rid of me and the twins that were starting to get wound up. I even got $3.25 back because the one I needed was cheaper.

So maybe try a different store and take the twins with you, maybe they will toss a little sympathy your way!!

27. sj3g

sj3g Well-Known Member

I have returned the ready-made Similac several times without a receipt to our grocery store that my MIL has bought it for us several times and the girls refuse to drink it. We even get cash back for it! It has never been an issue to make that return there. If it is indeed a federal law, our grocery store doesn't follow it. Interesting topic.

28. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

I tried as well. I had some gentlease I had bought, but I didn't like it so I tried to return and she said something about a law and people on WIC trying to exchange for a brand thats not on the WIC list.

29. summerfun

Hmm, this is interesting how so many people have had so many different experiences. It is obviously not federal law if people have done it, or those stores just didn't enforce it. DH is going to talk to a manager and if that doesn't work I'm going to try the other Walmart. Or even find a receipt from Target since I know DH bought some down by his work and use that one and try there.

30. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Amy, I was only able to exchange my unopened formula at Walmart. I would definitely try another Walmart though. They are not all the same! How's the birthday week going?????

31. summerfun

quote:
    How's the birthday week going?????

Sarah-Going good. It is still strange to think that Emilie is 1 and Trevor is not. The party is Saturday. They both had cake on Emilie's b-day and liked it, Emilie ate more than Trevor, he mostly got it in his hair. I guess mine and DH's Valentine's dinners are out for a few years since it's Trevor's b-day. We will have to do our dinner out on the weekends I guess. [​IMG] Thanks for the info.

I love your boys picture. They are so cute!!!

32. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I don't know if ya'll watch House but in the first or second season there is an episode where a cartoon of formula came from Mexico. Some drug dealers had drilled holes under the label and put liquid crack in the cans. The nanny was arrested for child abuse cause she brough her kid in sick and he tested positive for crack(she'd stolen the formula). They finally tracked it down to the family's house. Something like this could be the reason they don't allow returns.