Can anyone tell me how long it takes for hormones to return to normal?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kryscline, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kryscline

kryscline Well-Known Member

Does anyone tell me how long it takes for hormone levels to return to normal after giving birth?
    I suffer from migraines and when pregnant my migraines are more severe and more frequent.
    My babies are 4 weeks old now and I've had a few migraines this week....I know I'm not pregnant, so it's not the reason. I'm thinking it could be the hormones also I feel like I'm going to start my period, so that could be part of it.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think for me it was about 2 months until my hormones settled down after giving birth.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Have you had your BP checked recently? The reason I ask is that you can develop pre-eclampsia weeks AFTER you actually have the babies, and migraines are a sign of high BP. I might just put a call in to the doc to see what they think. :hug:

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Becky to have your doctor check you out as well. For me, it took about 2-3 months for my hormones to regulate after birth. I hope you feel better soon!

5. kryscline

kryscline Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Feb 19 2009, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1196804[/snapback]
    Have you had your BP checked recently? The reason I ask is that you can develop pre-eclampsia weeks AFTER you actually have the babies, and migraines are a sign of high BP. I might just put a call in to the doc to see what they think. :hug:

I developed pre-eclampsia a couple of days after giving birth and I spent 3 days in ICU having to deal with high blood pressure, pulmonary edema, enlarged heart, water retention etc. With the treatments they gave me I lost over 30 pounds of fluid in 2 days. I'm on high blood pressure/heart medication until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the suggestion...I do have a follow up to walking pneumonia tomorrow with my doctor, I'll have my blood pressure checked then. I've had the worst postnatal experience ever. It's been four weeks and I'm just starting to feel better, as if the walking pneumonia wasn't bad enough after having the pre-eclampsia experience, now I'm being hit with migraines again!! (Sorry about the poor me rant!) :(

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long until your hormones normalize again, but I think it depends if you are BF or pumping. I know when I stopped pumping, I got my period a few weeks later. :hug: I hope the doctor has something positive to say to you tomorrow.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(Soon to be Mom of 4 @ Feb 19 2009, 04:07 PM) [snapback]1196872[/snapback]
    I developed pre-eclampsia a couple of days after giving birth and I spent 3 days in ICU having to deal with high blood pressure, pulmonary edema, enlarged heart, water retention etc. With the treatments they gave me I lost over 30 pounds of fluid in 2 days. I'm on high blood pressure/heart medication until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for the suggestion...I do have a follow up to walking pneumonia tomorrow with my doctor, I'll have my blood pressure checked then. I've had the worst postnatal experience ever. It's been four weeks and I'm just starting to feel better, as if the walking pneumonia wasn't bad enough after having the pre-eclampsia experience, now I'm being hit with migraines again!! (Sorry about the poor me rant!) :(

Oh gosh! You poor thing! :hug:

8. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I had migraines as a child (onset about 9 years old). They run in my family (mother & maternal gma have debilitating migraines). Mine disappeared at 17 and returned upon getting pregnant.

My boys will be 3 next month. I'm under the impression that they are hear for good. Mine are very hormone-related as I get the somewhere from 2 days before my period to the first 2 days of my period. I use Excedrin Migraine for a run-of-the-mill migraine and Relpax for a doozy.

9. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

:hugs: Wow that is a LOT to go through! So sorry. I hope you have plenty of help and that your migraines go away soon!

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Feb 19 2009, 09:34 PM) [snapback]1196922[/snapback]
    My boys will be 3 next month. I'm under the impression that they are hear for good. Mine are very hormone-related as I get the somewhere from 2 days before my period to the first 2 days of my period.

Ugh! Same story here. I have had them since I was a young child and now I get them EVERY month.

To the OP: I am sorry that you have been through so much. I would definitely follow up with your Dr. since you have been having some issues.