Can antibiotics effect a pregnancy test? Or cause a late period?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by first_time_mommy_2_be_twins, Jul 18, 2008.

1. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

Hi,

Not sure if I should post this here or in the regular expecting forum but...

Can taking antibiotics effect pregnancy test results or cause a late period?

I have been taking penicillin for the past 3 days for infected wisdom teeth that I am supposed to have extracted in a couple weeks.

My period always comes every 25-28 days, never before and never after always within that timeframe, except when I got pregnant with the twins. Today is day 29 still no period! I took a test this morning but it came out negative. I'm not on BC so that cannot be the cause. We have not been doing anything to prevent pregnancy but have also not been actively TTC due to my upcoming mouth surgery. So it is totally possible that I could be pregnant (of course perfect timing :rolleyes: )

I dont have any symptoms different than I would if I were expecting my period except nausea and I've been craving ketchup the past few days. I HATE ketchup btw!

Totally odd thing yesterday DD came up to me with her doll and put it up to my belly and said "baby" clear as can be. She has never said baby before and definately not that clearly!

2. KaseyS2104

KaseyS2104 Well-Known Member

First question - do you want to be pregnant?? It sounds like you do but being that it is soooo early for you to tell do yourself a favor and don't read toooo far into the symptoms just yet. I just hate to see woman get let down when they are late for no reason other than their body just felt like acting weird around a time when they wanted to be pregnant. I have heard that some medications can cause false/positive pregnancy tests but this is VERY uncommon. If you are one day late, then I would wait a week to take another test - don't waste too much money on those things! :) The week will determine for you whether or not you are really, in fact, late, and it will only increase your chances of having a real positive pregnancy test.

Just my thoughts :)

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I would not think that antibiotics would affect your cycle, but I guess anything is possible. Stress over your upcoming mouth surgery might be the cause too! Good luck... I hope you figure it out.

4. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

QUOTE(KaseyS2104 @ Jul 18 2008, 06:06 PM) [snapback]883915[/snapback]
    First question - do you want to be pregnant?? It sounds like you do but being that it is soooo early for you to tell do yourself a favor and don't read toooo far into the symptoms just yet. I just hate to see woman get let down when they are late for no reason other than their body just felt like acting weird around a time when they wanted to be pregnant. I have heard that some medications can cause false/positive pregnancy tests but this is VERY uncommon. If you are one day late, then I would wait a week to take another test - don't waste too much money on those things! :) The week will determine for you whether or not you are really, in fact, late, and it will only increase your chances of having a real positive pregnancy test.

Just my thoughts :)

No! I do not want to be pregnant right now. I would not be disapointed if I am but this is really not the best time. I need to have my wisdom teeth extracted and if I'm pregnant they cannot do it. They are impacted and in really bad shape so I will most likely have to be knocked out completely for the surgery. I wont know for sure until I go in for another exam with the oral surgeon. But if I do there is no way they would even attempt the surgery if I'm pregnant.

The thing is that I am never late. With the twins I tested positive the second my pee hit the test on the first day of my missed period (day 28). But yes I realize it was twins so that is probably why I tested positive so early.

I had not been really stressing about it until I realized that I still had not gotten my period.

5. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Likely not the antibiotics. Stress can affect ovulation but not when your period is "due". Your leutal phase (the # of days following ovulation to menstruation) is very consistent from cycle to cycle. Perhaps the upcoming surgery or something caused some stress that delayed ovulation. It's not uncommon to have your period "late" and not be pregnant. Ovulation was just later than usual that cycle.

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Jul 18 2008, 10:10 PM) [snapback]883919[/snapback]
    I would not think that antibiotics would affect your cycle, but I guess anything is possible. Stress over your upcoming mouth surgery might be the cause too! Good luck... I hope you figure it out.

I was going to say the same thing. My periods are ALWAYS like clockwork and I was pregnant both time I was "late!" But, I could never get a BFP until 2-3 days after AF was supposed to be here. So, if I werer you, I would take another test in a few days. I would also inform your dr. that it could be a possibility as they might want to change their directin for the surgery...I don't know how pregnancy would affect getting wisdom teeth out. I do know that I had a root canal at 36 weeks with Olivia though.

7. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

Re the antibiotics:
    I have no idea if that can make your cycle off or not. I do know that stress can delay it...or bring it on early.

Re this post:
    I need to have my wisdom teeth extracted and if I'm pregnant they cannot do it. They are impacted and in really bad shape so I will most likely have to be knocked out completely for the surgery. I wont know for sure until I go in for another exam with the oral surgeon. But if I do there is no way they would even attempt the surgery if I'm pregnant.

I agree with Becky here:
    QUOTE(twinzmom2b @ Jul 23 2008, 05:29 AM) [snapback]890891[/snapback]
    I don't know how pregnancy would affect getting wisdom teeth out. I do know that I had a root canal at 36 weeks with Olivia though.

I had my gall bladder removed when I was 4 1/2 months preggo with Grant. Of course they monitered Grant CONSTANTLY before, during, and after the surgery. SO if your teeth are bothering you that badly, they can still do it.

8. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

Oops I never came back to let you all know.

It finally came, 3 days late! <_<