C-Section questions I can't find

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jojosie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jojosie

jojosie Member

Ok- I have read the very awesome c-section posts about what to expect-but I didn't see the answer to a few questions:

1. What kind of panties will I want to wear after a planned c-section? I normally wear VS bikini cut but should I get some briefs to go above incension or what advice can you give. I know the hospital has those mesh ones-

2. Can you take a shower after your c-section while in the hospital? How soon can you?

Just curious and thinking about my hospital bag. Thanks! :)
    Joanna

2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I am thinking I showered the next day (24 hrs later). I think I just wore the mesh panties while I was there, because it's really messy after giving birth and I didn't want to wear any of my own panties. They have these huge "pads" that can go under you on the bed. These are great. Take some home. ;)

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Ditto on the PP's post. I was able to shower the next day, as long as someone was in the outer room in case I needed help. I also wore the mesh panties, lochia after giving birth is insanely heavy, you don't want to ruin your underwear.

4. fromthecabbagepatch

fromthecabbagepatch Well-Known Member

Yay, they give you those really sexy mesh panties to wear that could fit an elephant! They are just lovely. Afterwards I just wore big granny briefs... I was afraid the bikini would cut into my incision.

They let me shower the next day (sitting down). I really didn't want to. It was horrible getting out of bed. I wanted to just lay there. But I got up and got one anyway. I waited to get another one until I got home. It was kind of embarrassing because the nurse had to help me.

5. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

About panties. I was wearing the netting panties from the hospital the whole stay in the hospital and even don't think about others after that I wearing maternity pants from gap for a while and only after that I return to my VS bikini.

About the shower I wasn't allow to take it until 3rd day in the hospital

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I hate the netting panties so I just wore my crappy over the belly maternity stuff in the hospital and tossed them.

I was allowed to shower the day after my c-section. I know that with my second, I got up that morning and requested that my IV come out so I could shower right away. I didn't need anyone to be in the room.

7. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

I bought a pack of granny panties to wear after coming home and wore those about a month before switching back to bikinis. And they made me take a shower after 24 hours both times. The second time, I asked for a shower chair.

8. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

The panties that I brought to the hospital I ended up not using. It was good to "air out" using the mesh hospital panties.
    Honestly on occassion Still I have issues with the elastic on my panties (7 months post). Once home (and no af) I like to
    just get comfy in pj pants without panties. Might as well be comfy when recovering.

Taking a shower... I had to wait for my OB/Gyn's ok. So it was my 3rd day. Which also was my most painful post day too.
    I got dizzy (standing) in the shower too, but didn't fall. Everyone is different. Some say it's the best shower you have taken
    in your life.

Hope I didn't scare you. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Best of luck!

9. schindewolf

schindewolf New Member

I just had a C Section for the first time April 8. I got to take a shower the following day. I am still wearing my maternity underwear (briefs) now. You will have to just try a few pairs you have to see what underwear does not rub on your incision. Good luck!!

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I'm a VS bikini wearer myself and OUCH! They hit exactly on my incision. I wore the mesh panties for my 4 days at the hospital and for at least a few days at home. I had bought a pack of Hanes briefs at WalMart and didn't care if I got anything on them. I wore those for at least a month or two.

As for the shower, I had an awesome nurse who told me to stand in the shower and wash my hair. She cleaned the rest of me. At that point I didn't care who saw me naked and the shower was a relief. They had soap/washclothes/towels and everything there for me.

11. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

These are some great questions!
    I've had 3 c-sections and had the same experience with all 3.
    Panties-- same as the pp, I wore the mesh ones till I was out of the hosp then granny panties. I'm actually almost 2 months pp and am just now wearing regular panties again.

Shower-- I dreaded the shower more then anything else! I took all of mine within 24 hours after. I had my dh with me all 3 times and for me the worst part was taking the bandages off. The tape stuck to my skin and it hurt really bad. I finally got the timing right on my meds this time and it was much better because I was fully doped up :lol: I strongly recommend that someone be there with you.. if anything just to hand you stuff and hold your hand if you need help.

12. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fromthecabbagepatch @ Apr 17 2009, 06:14 PM) [snapback]1278130[/snapback]
    Yay, they give you those really sexy mesh panties to wear that could fit an elephant! They are just lovely. Afterwards I just wore big granny briefs... I was afraid the bikini would cut into my incision.

They let me shower the next day (sitting down). I really didn't want to. It was horrible getting out of bed. I wanted to just lay there. But I got up and got one anyway. I waited to get another one until I got home. It was kind of embarrassing because the nurse had to help me.

digging into my way back then memories.

I encourage you to get up and take the shower when they offer it to you. You may not feel like it but it will be good for you to get up and take the shower. It will not be a relaxing shower but it will make you feel a little better.

Be sure someone is either waiting in the room for you while you shower or that you have the emergency pull switch in your reach at all times.

Before you get into the shower make sure you have everything you will need for the shower, soap, shampoo, face cloth, a towel AND a towel or some other NON slip thing on the floor for your feet when you step out. I had someone in the room when I went in the shower but they left while I was in there and when I got out there was no towel to dry myself and nothing on the floor to prevent me from slipping on the wet floor. I had to pul the emergency cord and I was not a pretty sight for the MALE orderly and two female nurses that came running in. They were not mad that I pulled the cord. I did the right thing but I was naked, wet and very embarrassed.