burping tips

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by haleystar, Aug 7, 2009.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

just wondering if anyone has any burping tips for newborns...my two week old twin boys are horrible burpers. it can take 5 minutes before they will burp...anyone have any tips/advice?? i've tried the over the shoulder, sitting up, bent forward...i don't know of many more techniques.

2. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I was going to post about this too, my boys can take up to 5 minutes just to burp during a feeding.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always fournd the best way was to sit them on my lap supporting them in front with one hand & rub my other hand slowly but quite firmly up their back, causing them to slowly sit straight up. Almost always would cause them to burp.

4. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I always had a hard time as well. What made me feel better was when my doc told me to stop worrying, a baby won't die from not burping. She said is will usually just come out the other end. I also found mylicon seemed to help them burp. Don't stress.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine did well with the way Tina described. But, we also did this trick that I learned from my Grandma. I'd lay a baby over my lap so that my thigh was on their tummy and support them in front also. With the other hand I rubbed their back. That usually did the trick if others didn't.

6. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

I do like Tina as well...it's like tickling the burps out :lol:

7. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

Yep, just the way Tina described works best here too!

8. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I would bend them at the waist and left hand supporting their neck and give a firm pat. Sometimes I'd lie them back down flat, and then immediately bend them back again and pat again. Sometimes a jiggle with your leg with get the bubbles up to the top. Someone described it like the bubbles that stick to the side of the glass, you knock them free. (I think it was in that happiest baby on the block)..

9. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

Yep, one of my girls would not and still won't burp unless we rub her back but we held her to our shoulder instead of laying down. Another funny grandmother's trick is to look at their upper lip (space between the lip and their nose) and if it is white, they need to burp. Worked every time for us. Isn't that funny???