Burping strategies when tandem feeding

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amycplus, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi All,

After being blessed with a lot of help for the first month, I spent my first morning alone with the boys today and it went pretty well. We did two tandem feeds without someone on standby to burp or change a baby. Everything went fairly smoothly but it was pretty tricky to burp them successfully and we had some upsets afterwards as a result. Anyone have any strategies? How did you burp one baby while the other was latched? What about when they were both needing to burp? Any thoughts that might help mom and babies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

2. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

This is one of the many reasons I don't really like tandem feeding. That'd being said, I keep a pillow or boppy nearby to prop up the one baby while the other is still nursing. I find they are more comfortable and less likely to spit up that way. Congrats on going it alone today!! Its a big scary step!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I sometimes had success turning the "burpee" over on their tummy on the EZ2 & rubbing/patting their back. As they got older I was able to hold one against my shoulder & burp while the other continued to nurse. GL!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup- put one on the shoulder, burp, lay back down. I kept a bouncy seat next to me as it was more on my level to lay them in when 1 was done. I also felt better by swaddling tightly as it gave me more stability.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

This is what I did too. Congratulations on tandem feeding alone - it is a big step!