burping question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Sep 16, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my boys get about 1-2 bottles a day and they do NOT like taking a break to burp.
    do you still take breaks in between oz at my boys' age?

2. jhart923

jhart923 Well-Known Member

I don't know if we have to but I still burp my one after every 2-3 oz. (she used to spit up if we didn't but is getting better) And the other can go longer sometimes but I usually try to do a burp with her but if she doesn't right away I wait till she's done. They do about 6oz. Do yours get food/cereal? My girls are still getting 4-5 bottles a day.

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on your kids and how well they eat. One of my boys had to be burped more often or else he would puke a lot at the end. The other one you didn't dare take the bottle out until he was finished because if you did he wouldn't eat anymore . I still have to stop and burp my bigger guy and they are 9 months old. Go with what works best for your little ones.

4. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Around 6 months my girls starting burping by themselves. Before that I would stop at every 2-3 ounces to burp. They didn't like it, but it was better than having screaming, gassy babies.

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i used to have to burp them every oz. now i do 1/2way through the bottle.

no cereal or food yet. just BM or formula.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I probably was only burping once in the middle of a bottle at that age, if that. Sometimes I would just burp at the end. But it depends on your little ones. Some will spit up lots if they aren't burped more regularly.

7. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

One of boys I burp half way through a 6oz bottle and the other one is every 1 1/2 to 2 oz(due to acid reflux). I can't wait until they can burp on their own!

8. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

About 6wks old we started burping every once, due to reflux and the girls did fine with it until about 4.5 - 5 months i think and then they started fighting us tooth and nail with it. They would SCREAM at us when we would take the bottle out of their mouth. After about a month of fighting with them i started just letting them take the whole bottle and burping afterwards. They would/and still do give us a huge healthy burp. Feeding time was sooo much less of a beating when we did this and the girls seemed to tolerate it fine.