bunk beds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

we are short on space and since having the 3rd baby, we had to get rid of the playroom and turn it into the baby's room.
    the boys are 3.5 - going to be four in may.
    we are SO nervous about bunk beds but space-wise - my god they would be great!!!!

any advice?
    are they too little? they currently sleep in their toddler beds (converted from their cribs). i feel like they are beginning to grow out of their crib-sized beds now.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We bought bunk beds but never assembled them. My parents have a set of bunk beds (set up) at their cabin. We just started letting them sleep on top bunk at age 6. I don't have a problem with them sleeping, but it's the getting out of bed in the middle of the night half asleep that I worry about.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

You can buy twin bunk beds that can be 2 individual twin beds. When they are big enough, stack them up.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We just got bunk beds for the boys 4th bday. We had ours custom made by Amish and they are full over full with a staircase. LOVE THEM! The side rail on the top is about 6-8" above their heads when they are laying down so I'm not worried about them rolling out and I feel better with the staircase. They've done well with them....and they sleep together which is super cute<3

eta: ours also can be separated into 2 full beds which was a must when I was looking at them in case they could t handle it. These are the last beds were buying them;)

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even consider it and my kids are almost 5. I know a mom whose 6yo brought his ankle jumping from them. I think it's way too dangerous, personally.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on your kids. My girls have been sleeping in bunk beds at my mom's lake house since they were three. Getting up and down the ladder was tricky for the first few times, but after that, they were both fine. I know my girls and they're not the type to jump off a top bunk... so if your kids are similar, bunk beds might be a good idea. I'll tell you what I don't like, though. There is no real horizontal play space in their room... no place to flop down comfortably and read a book or sit together and play with dolls or whatever. They can certainly sit on the lower bunk, but the bunk over it limits the headroom and I notice they don't sit there and play. They're on the floor, whereas in our house they sit on their beds to play some of the time. Plus, changing sheets on a bunk bed is awful! I used to think I'd get them at my house, but after seeing the inconveniences at my mom's... it's not going to happen.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins are almost 4, when we bought them beds last year we did buy bunk beds, but we have them separated for now. I'm not comfortable with my 4 yr olds on the top bunk. And I think if they get playing too wildly, one would end up toppling off the top.

My older kids have bunk beds as well, and by the time my son was 6 we moved him to the top bunk. So couple more years before I'll let my twins have their bunk beds set up together ;)

8. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

This is what I would do. Bunk beds aren't recommended till age 5-6, though I know plenty of people get them earlier.

9. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

One of my four year olds really wants one...
    However...
    American Pediatric Assoc discourages it for young children.
    Plus the statistic of head injuries in Any child from them scares me.

My highly competitive fraternal guys currently have seperate bedrooms to keep the peace.

Do whatever works best for your family's situation...

10. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

Hey you are pretty much in the same boat as me! Our girls had single beds that could stack together and make bunk beds cause we knew eventually we would need the space. Maybe around 4 years old we turned them into bunk beds but the novelty wore off very quickly and they both wound up sleeping in the bottom bunk or on their pull out couch! After a few months we just took them back down. So I guess it depends! If your kids would like/use them I say it is a good idea.

11. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls are dying for a bunk bed but the one they want is twin over full. You know what they said? We could sleep together on bottom and you could sleep on top . We have captains beds now so that gives us 4 extra drawers. However my grandma for some reason thinks they are too big for bunk beds :umm: