Bump/Growth on gum above top front tooth

Discussion in 'General' started by ckreh, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Last night we discovered a growth like bump on DS gum above his front tooth that is the size of a pea. Of course it is the tooth he chipped about 2-years ago while playing outside, so I freaked out when we found while brushing teeth yesterday. I don't know how long it has been there (upset that I have never noticed it), it doesn't seem to hurt him, or affect his eating. We took him to the ped this morning and she said it look like a fibrous grown from an injury. She wants his dentist to double check it within the next 2-6 weeks if possible, but said unless it is bothering him to let it be. Basically it is not an emergency issue, but should be examined by a dentist just in case. Of course our dentist that I have gone to for 15-years is retiring and only works two half days a week now. My friend gave us the number to her family dentist that is very kid friendly. We have an appointment in 3-weeks for his first cleaning and a second opinion of the bump with a possible x-ray. I am wondering if anyone else has had something like this and if so what was your experience or outcome?

I was a nervous wreak last night because he has had so many health issues from open-heart surgery, food allergies, and antibiotic allergic reaction that sent us to the ER. I think I slept maybe 4-hours at the most. Of course I immediately thought that it must be a cancerous tumor. I am trying to be calm until the dentist appointment, but it is really starting to seem like it is never ending illness or injuries with this poor little guy.

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the tooth may have an infection and needs to be seen by the dentist as soon as possible. I wouldn't wait. If it is an infection he will end up in pain at some point.

3. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Yep, it is an infection. Allie and Ash have had those and they always require antibiotics. Good luck!

4. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

This morning it is about 40% smaller. Both kids have had head colds this week and I am wondering if this is some how related. We do have an appointment with the dentist, but if it starts to get bigger or hurt him they said they would bump up his appointment as an emergency to be seen asap.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

It maybe an abbess. Jazz had to have one pulled because of this or a cyst. Jessy has a cyst under one of her front teeth( dentist said most likely from a fall). They said if it becomes visible or starts to bother her they will pulleys tooth