Broken butt

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Aug 30, 2011.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here it is, a week after I fell down the stairs, and while the acute pain from falling is pretty much gone, it still hurts to sit, it hurts to climb the stairs, it hurts to sit on the stairs (where I usually put my shoes on in the morning).

Has anyone done something similar? I didn't go to the doctor because even if it is broken, what are they going to do? Put my butt in a cast? (I don't think there's enough plaster!) How long am I looking at? Should I go to the doctor?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

They would have you sit on one of those donut things.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

In middle school a girl broke her butt bone (Coccyx) and had to sit on a donut of a pillow. I'd at least go in and get an x-ray and go from there. Sorry you are in pain. I hope you get some relief!

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd go to the doctor and find out. Or at least call. You don't want to make it worse.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'd definitely go in, Bex. Just to make sure you didn't hurt yourself worse than you realize (ie. a fracture further up the spine).

Watch those stairs!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I fractured my tailbone on a step. I had to sit at an angle for months and pew seats killed me for like a year. It finally healed and doesn't give me problems

7. becasquared

Donuts are for eatin', not sittin'.

I should have gone in yesterday when I had the day off. Ya know, I could use some really good pain killers. /waggles eyebrows

Can I just buy one of those pillows from CVS? I'll have to walk over there during lunch.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Are you talking tailbone or bone deep in each cheek?
    If the latter - that is where your hamstring attaches so you could have an avulsion - tendon pulls off the bone taking a small piece of bone with it. You would likely have significant pain and great difficulty or in ability to bend your knee.
    Hopefully just a bone bruise that will continue getting better.

9. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Ouchies !! I bet one of them pillows might help when you sit. Keep us updated.

btw .. I rolled my ankle this morning and it is killing me now. I'm much too stubborn to call the Dr. I'll give a day or 2. :)

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you can just but them. DH had a couple different ones when he was having tailbone pain last year.

11. ECUBitzy

What a pain in the butt, Bex. I hope you find the reason behind the pain in the butt, but be sure to talk to the doctor. And I didn't know a Rite-Aid abutted the capital? I guess it's a way of covering their rear for all the butt-hurt that goes on in that building.

I just cannot sustain this joke. Who's more witty than I? There are puns to be had here.

4 people like this.
  12. becasquared

Eh, my knees are fine. When I move my thighs up and down to get up or down stairs or to get to a sitting/standing position, it hurts. But not like my "nearly herniated disk" back hurt. It's a totally different type of pain in the same area. This really just feels like I'm pressing on a bad bruise when I sit, really deep. My disk problem was more of a stabbing pain. I do get a little stabby pain when I move my legs up and down, but I figure that's just my disk issue coming back from the fall.

I felt an electric jolt with every step I fell down. The big one and all 7 afterwards. I looked at the coccyx pillows on amazon and will have my husband order me one tomorrow. My boss said that she was in pain (when she slipped on ice) for over 7 months. I don't think I can deal with 7 months of this.

And yes, please derail my thread by making me the butt of all the jokes Stephanie. :p

13. ECUBitzy

Snort. It was begging for it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Coccyx pillow won't help if it is ischial tuberosity (deep butt bone on each side).
    Sounds like a bone bruise - which is not fun but will get better.

15. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I fell off a ladder in graduate school then fell roller blading (and promptly gave it up). My butt still hurts at times. I'd say you are in for some pain for a good while and then off and on for years. You are right in that there is nothing they can do other than tell you that you broke it. I'd say take some motrin and see if that helps with the pain.

16. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

If you have insurance and a reasonable copay, I would go get seen. Even if you are only told that it is broken, at least you would know for sure.

17. becasquared

I'd have to take a day off from work since I commute an hour and a half each way, so I'm trying to avoid it. I have an appointment on 9/23 so I'll mention it then if it's still bugging me and I haven't gone in to the Urgent care clinic before then for strep or some other disaster.

In the meanwhile, Ibuprofin is my friend.

18. becasquared

Yeah, I can't handle it any more. Appointment tomorrow afternoon. At least I'm seeing the doctor I really like!

19. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Sorry it is so painful. Glad you got the doctor you like. Please keep us updated!

20. becasquared

I'm glad I have a doctor's appointment today. My leg went numb for 20 minutes.

FML.

21. ECUBitzy

I'll stop poking fun- that sounds miserable. I'm sorry! I hope they figure your butt out. :hug:

1 person likes this.
  22. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hey,

What did the docs say?

23. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What did the doctor say?

24. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Another one just checking to see what the doctor said. I hope you start feeling better really soon!! That must have been a wicked fall! :hug:

25. becasquared

I went for xrays, they'll be back tomorrow. But the doctor said that there's nothing they can do except for pain management. So he gave me a Rx for Tramadol and Lyrica (new pain blocker). It still hurts, but not as bad. So I'd say scale of 1-10, 10 being sitting on the bus in intense pain, 1 being normal, Ibuprofin put me at an 8, this stuff puts me at a 6.

I'm pretty bummed.

26. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dang Bex that sounds miserable. I hope your butt is feeling better soon.

1 person likes this.
  27. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Bex...I hope you start feeling better soon!

28. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I came in to check on your assets. I hope you are getting some relief.

29. becasquared

Drugs are good, mmmmkay?

Well, I'm sleeping a lot and quite scatterbrained. Pain is decreasing, which is good. College football is on, which is great.

30. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wub: college football & sleeping. That's what I'm doing today too. :)

31. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon!

32. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am sorry that you're in so much pain! That must have been quite the fall. Drugs are good, but I hope it heals up quickly.

Give your butt a kiss for me.

33. becasquared

Xrays say:

Buttbone not broken. It's separated a bit, but the bones themselves are not broken. Doctor says it'll probably hurt for another month or so. I bought a coccyx cushion for work, and that seems to work okay. But this morning I woke up and it didn't hurt as bad.

34. ECUBitzy

Glad to know it isn't broken! ;) Hope you heal quickly.

35. becasquared

I need a nap.

I'm now alternating Tramadol and Ibuprofin, three times a day, and Lyrica three times a day with the Tramadol. Either the Tramadol or the Lyrica makes me really sleepy. I'm looking at you bottle of Tramadol!!

I'm feeling well enough to go for a walk at lunch today though. Which is nice because I haven't felt like doing anything walking or working out since it happened.