Brody wakes up crying :(

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dezmitch, Aug 3, 2009.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

Brody has been waking up everyday for the past week around 5:30am (he usually wakes up at 6:30am). The annoying thing is that he SCREAMS until you go get him...and then when you get him he just gives me a HUGE smile. Therefore he's not in pain or anything...he basically is ready to get up for the day (but mama is not). Nothing has changed in their schedule, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? BTW - everytime he naps when he wakes up he screams. He used to just talk nicely, but now he feels that he needs to do this horrible screaming and crying to get my attention. I hate it!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just one question. Are you sure that it's when he wakes up that he's screaming or is he laying in bed for a few minutes first?

Alice did that a few months ago and I attributed it to dreams. Thankfully she's back to being woken up by Royce talking.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds like Brody is taking lessons from my DS. It is very rare that DS does not wake up screaming (in the morning and from nap) and as soon as either DH or I walk into the room, he is all smiles and happy. He has not been waking earlier then usual though, it's just his cry to let us and probably the rest of the neighborhood know he is awake. Does your DS sleep with loveys or a book? Maybe something in his crib might keep him occupied. My DD, her crib toys keep her perfectly happy until we get her and DS wants nothing but us. :hug:

4. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

All I know is the whole house knows when he's up because his scream is horrendous. We've tried to let him go and he doesn't go back to bed. We always say, "When Brody's up there's no chance in he## that he's going back to bed." He's been like this since a newborn. He's a great sleeper and napper, but if he wakes up too early because he's disturbed then he doesn't go back to bed.

The little monkey is crawling around the room right now as I type. Not even crying for a morning bottle yet so that shows me he doesn't wake up out of hunger. Is he maybe sleeping too much during the day? Our routine usually is:

6 or 6:30am wake up
    9 or 9:30 am nap (usually 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours)
    2:00pm nap (usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours)
    7:00 start bedtime routine

STTN just fine...just these early wake ups and the crying after everytime he wakes up (morning and naps) is killing me!

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls do this when they wake up too early too (from naps and bedtime). One of my girls will self-soothe (sucks her thumb) and might fall back to asleep. My other girl will not and it drives me nuts because then she is cranky. Is he learning something new? Getting molars? overtired? These are usually things that contribute to waking too early. Have you tried putting him to bed a little earlier (I know that sounds crazy, but it works for some people). GL and :hug: On Saturday my day started at 4am and NO ONE was happy about it so I feel your pain.

6. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

What I have read and it seemed to be true with my two -- is that if they wake up crying they are tired. Would an earlier bedtime help ? Mine go to bed at 6:30 (in bed at that time) you said you START bedtime routine which might actually make their bedtime later. I have found putting them to bed earlier DOES NOT make them wake up earlier -- they actually sleep later. Heck try it one night and see what happens.....

7. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat - one of my girls is waking up earlier than normal (sometimes also in the middle of the night) and screaming hysterically. She does this with naps also. I htink it may be nightmares - but I also know that she is very tired still! It's sooo frustrating! I don't have any great advice as I am trying to figure this out myself, but wanted to send :hug:

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

that was the case at our house. lets say hes in bed by 8? and is getting up at 530- at his age 9.5 hours of nighttime sleep is definitely NOT enough.
    The other thing that helped us was the sippy cup of water. When DS wakes up he gets a drink and talks with his sister or gets a drink and goes back to bed.