Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'General' started by AimeeThomp, Aug 10, 2013.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The final season starts tomorrow night! Who else is watching? How do you predict the show will end?

I predict that Walt Jr. is going to die in these final 8 episodes. At this point Walt has poisoned 1 kid and helped bury cover/up the murder of another. I think this is going to come back around. I think the fact that Walt Jr is a junior will have something to do with it. Someone looking for revenge will mistake him for his dad and the only innocent in Walt's family (well other than the baby) is going to pay the price for his dad's sins.
    I have no idea if Hank will bust Walt or what. I doubt it though. I also think Walt's cancer will come back. Maybe Hank will be on the verge of arresting him but then the cancer will come back and he'll die of cancer and this past year (or years? No idea how long of a time period the show was supposed to be) will set Walt's family up financially for life.

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely skylar will die and hank and Marie will end up with the kids. . Jesse will get busted while Walter isn't around.. Walter's cancer will come back and he will end up killing himself as Jesse and skylar are dead to protect the kids forever and hide what's left of the meth business as he is about to be caught. Hank and Marie will post missing persons signs every where but are secretly glad because they didn't want Walter taking the kids.

1 person likes this.
  3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Ooh, these are good predictions! I always thought that Walt Jr. would start using the blue meth and die as a result... maybe a car wreck in his shiny, fast new car while high. The loss and knowledge of her indirect involvement would cause Skyler to commit suicide. Hank will bust Walt and he will rot in prison with the knowledge that he was the downfall of his family. (I really want to see Hank's reaction when he finds out Walt is Heisenberg!!!!) Holly is raised by Marie and Hank and will somehow inherit millions of drug money, thus leaving Walt's past and his dirty money open to wreak havoc on the rest of his family. I'm not quite sure about Jesse. I hope he gets it together and has a happy life.

ETA - Maybe Walt will be murdered in prison by one of Mike's guys as redemption for Walt killing Mike (and Gus).

1 person likes this.
  4. AimeeThomp

Good ones! I forgot to predict Jesse's outcome. I think Jesse has a happy ending. He winds up adopting a child or having a family. Going back to school and becoming a chemistry teacher.

5. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I don't know how it all will end but I love Jesse. I hope he ends up well.

So, so good.

6. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

All I have to say that I never knew that I could love the sound of a garage door as much as I could with this show.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

DH and I are finally caught up!
    We will be able to watch the newest episode with the rest the world tonight :banana:

My predictions:
    Jesse goes into the Witness Protection Program and starts a new life. After the last episode, I don't think Jesse has any incentive to protect Walt anymore.
    Walt, I hope, dies. I don't care how. As long as he dies.
    Skylar, probably in prison, sadly.
    Walt Jr. and Holly-being raised by Hank and/or Marie
    Hank-Either retires from the DEA or has a heart attack and suddenly dies.
    Marie-Definitely raising Walt Jr. and Holly.

Interestingly, Anna Gunn (Skylar) has written Op-Ed piece for the New York Times addressing the online hate for the character of Skylar. I don't really agree with the Skylar haters, but I thought her op-ed brought up some good points. I cannot imagine how ill at ease she must feel finding out that Skylar hate for some has transferred to Anna Gunn hate. I mean, I hate Walt, but I don't hate Bryan Cranston. I think Walt's a fascinating character, but I don't think he deserves a happy ending and I definitely don't see him as the "hero" of the show.

Anna Gunn- I have a character issue

8. AimeeThomp

Wow I had no idea there was so much hatred for Skylar. She isn't one of my favorites but I certainly don't hate her.

9. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Yep, tons online hate for Skyler. There's a 90+ page thread on a local message board about BrBa and lots of the posters on there can't stand her character (though, nobody has expressed hatred toward Anna Gunn specifically...I've never seen that). I like Skyler. I think it's because if I were faced with the same situation, I would react the exact same way. One of my favorite moments with her is when she's sitting in the chair smoking and using Walt's birthday mug as an ashtray, blowing smoke at him defiantly. I truly hope that she finds some kind of triumph in the end.

10. kingeomer

Gini, I hope she does too. When Anna Gunn makes the comparison of Skyler to Carmella Soprano and Betty Draper, I can see it. More so Carmella then Betty. I mean Carmella knew what Tony did for a living and it was not waste management. Carmella may have not helped to aid and abet the enterprise like Skyler did, but Carmella did not give up for life with Tony, even though they were close to divorce at one point (over his affairs).
    Seeing how devious Walt is, especially after this episode, Skyler most likely feels that there is no way she will be rid of him. She tries to get rid of the kids and send them off to Hank and Marie and Walt basically says he will have her declared an unfit mother and put in a mental institution. I feel like Skyler, at this point, is either biding her time or has surrendered to her fate. We'll see. And now, with Walt's "confession", she probably knows there's no way he's letting her go. She knows too much.

What did everyone think of last night's episode? I HATE WALT. HATE. I don't hate Bryan Cranston though (please don't write an Op-Ed Bryan, I love you as an actor and you play Walt so well). I was yelling at Jesse when he didn't get in the van. I was hoping he would take the new start in Alaska. Now, he'll be a loose end that Walt has to tie up :( Especially since it looks like he is going to setting the house on fire. Honestly, if Hank and Marie somehow kidnapped Walt Jr. and Holly and moved to Nebraska, I would be so happy for them.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mama_Kim

I cannot stand Skyler! How funny that there are whole legions of people who agree and talk about it online. But imo that makes Anna Gunn a good actress if she can make me hate her character so much. She has annoyed me since day one of the first episode.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mama_Kim

I thought last night's episode was so interesting. Lou predicted a bit of what went down, especially Walt's video message to Hank.

While I hate Skyler's character, I don't hate Walt. I think he's kind of awesome in a lot of ways. I hate some of the things he's done. I think he can be very ruthless and he has turned himself into a huge monster. But I don't hate him. I appreciate his cunningness and the fact he went from mild chemistry teacher to drug kingpin. Without Walt, there is no show. I do hate what he has done to Skyler and the family but I believe his motivations started out well, he just got too caught up in the power and money.

My favorite characters on the show are Jesse and Hank. And Better Call Saul!

1 person likes this.
  13. AimeeThomp

I agree 100%. Walt IS the show. I find myself rooting for him even though he has turned in to a monster. I also sort of felt like "good for him" when he finally had some power, even though he let it go to his head. I remember thinking he was such a pitiful man that first season - who, in his situation, wouldn't bask in that power coming from where Walt came from? Now, he did take it way too far. But I feel like everyone has that evil side to them that could be brought out if given the chance. Maybe not to the extent of Walt in the show. I'm just saying if you're put down, feel like you've lost your dignity, etc and then suddenly find yourself in a position of respect and power, you are likely to let it go to your head.

I hope this makes sense I only have 30 seconds before I'm out the door for work, just had to comment.

When Jesse was pouring the gasoline I was thinking I hope Walt Jr isn't home. I still think he's going to die.

1 person likes this.
  14. 4lilmonkeys

I don't hate Walt either. I want to. I'm disgusted with myself for the times that I root for him. But, I agree with you, Kim. I almost admire certain aspects of his personality and I think that it just shows what a genius actor Cranston is when you're sucked in by his manipulation too.

Last night's episode was great! I knew Jesse would figure out how Brock was poisoned and who poisoned him, but I didn't expect it to be so early into the season. I chewed my fingernails through the entire episode because it was so tense.

15. Mama_Kim

Well said, Aimee. I agree 100%. It's why I don't hate him even though he's done some horrible, horrible things.

16. kingeomer

My thoughts are with Walt, is that I hate him but he is a compelling character and without him, there is no show (just like Aimee said). I am always wondering what he's going to do next. I do feel like Walt is the most unpredictable character. Just like that scene where he goes into hug Jesse and Jesse flinches. Because Jesse doesn't know if Walt is going to hug him or kill him. And I didn't know that either and that is what makes Walt interesting to watch. Even if I am rooting for him to get his in the end.
    I think the show has captured how anyone can turn morally corrupt (Walt, obviously. Skyler to some extent, and how that moral corruption can unintentionally sweep others along with it-Hank, Marie and Ted). We see Walt start off the show as powerless and finding his power through this enterprise and the many opportunities he had to walk away and chose not to take them: he's financially okay and could walk, doesn't. Doesn't take the deal that Mike works out for him, Walt and Jesse to walk, and now is sort of out of the business to his family but yet Todd is still keeping him in the loop-why? I think Walt's downfall is his hubris, that he's probably always had but it just didn't come out until now. And, the one thing that Heisenberg can't cure or overcome is cancer, so Walt might feel like he personally doesn't have a lot to lose when he already has a death sentence (though we don't know if the return of his cancer is deemed terminal or not). The scene in last week's episode where he tells Skyler not to let this all be for nothing.

Kim, I agree with your favorite characters: Jesse, Hank and Saul. I love Saul, what a great character he is. I would so watch a Saul Goodman spin off show. I kind of have a crush on Dean Norris who plays Hank :blush:

1 person likes this.
  17. AimeeThomp

Me too! Well not about a crush on Hank :bad: but I would definitely watch the show about Saul. He's my favorite. Hey, at least he's honest about the fact that he's shady.

18. Mama_Kim

When I was a paralegal on Long Island in the late 80's (big hair and all), I worked for a law firm on the south shore. One of the partners looked and sounded like Saul. Howard S. He wasn't shady or anything but everytime I see Saul I think of Howard! :lol: Too funny.

Nancy, Walt is definitely the most unpredicatable character on the show. You never know what's coming with him. You could sense Jesse's fear of this in the scene you mentioned where he didn't know if Walt was going to kill him but then he hugs him. So, so interesting. And when he said that to Skyler about "please don't let this all have been for nothing" shows he realizes how far he's turned from the Walt who just desparately wanted to just provide for his family after he was gone to the Walt who feels such power as Heisenberg in the "say my name" scene. The power and the money have corrupted him and he knows it but he still really just wants to be that Walt who loves his family above all. He's just too far in. As you said, the cancer may be his demise after all, because neither power nor money can fix that problem. Cannot wait to see how it all ends.

I just want to hug Jesse. He's a good "kid" who just lost his way but somewhere in there he still has a good heart and soul. I hope this ends well for him.

19. kingeomer

Here is a blog post, providing a counterpoint to Anna Gunn's Op-Ed article Open letter to Anna Gunn

Kim, I agree about Jesse. Here is a young man who desperately is searching for some type of family and really is alone in the world. If he did take Saul's offer to vanish, who would miss him? Besides, Walt (maybe).
    I would love to see him make it out okay and have a normal life. I don't have a lot of hope for him after last Sunday's episode, though we'll see.

20. Chrissy Nelson

I had to research the whole thing with the cigarette because I must have slept threw that with the boy and being poisoned and all that. So I was kinda confused last week when Jesse freaked out.

21. 4lilmonkeys

I think that was one of those plot lines where you had to REALLY be paying attention, because we couldn't figure it out either. I had to go look it up to see what happened. Apparently, there's a scene where Saul's secretary is shredding school schedules and that's how you're supposed to put it all together combined with Walt spinning his gun on the outside table. The light bulb didn't come on for me until that episode where Jesse tells Walt it was Lily of the Valley and not ricin.

22. AimeeThomp

The thing that sort of confuses me about this, is if it was Lily of the Valley then how does that point to Walt in Jesse's mind?

I get the whole switched cigarette thing - he knew that the body guard must have switched it out the first time b/c he was sure he had pot in his pocket and then bumped in to him. So he knows Walt lied to him. But how does he know that Walt poisoned Brock?

I can't believe that Jesse is Walt's weakness that will be his downfall. I know Walt has manipulated Jesse, poisoned kids, done whatever he had to do to overcome whatever obstacles were in his way but when Jesse confessed for Hank I thought "NOOO!" Ugh. I HATE the idea of those two working together. The way Hank called him a crack head loser drooling on his bathroom floor and said that even if Walt killed him he'd have it on tape - ugh ugh ugh. So we have a "bad" guy who truly cares about Jesse and a "good" guy who really is just using him. Poor Jesse. I don't see a good outcome for him now. I don't know how a good outcome is possible at all and he is the one I was really pulling for the most.

1 person likes this.
  23. 4lilmonkeys

I'll admit that the Brock poisoning is one of those plot lines that I'm having a little bit of trouble with. My only conclusion is that Jesse knows Walt's capabilities. He knows Walt is evil and that it wouldn't be difficult for him to find a way to do it. Still, I agree with you...at this point, it's just a guess and Jesse has no real proof that he did it.

I want to know what Jesse meant by "I'll hit you where you really live."

And, the last thing...I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Gilligan tends to play up the camera angles. Did y'all catch the shot of Hank fiddling with the camera while he's talking to Gomez? There's a shot between the chair rails that makes it look like Hank is "behind bars." And, in the background behind him is the wedding photo of Marie, also "behind bars." It could mean nothing, but Jonathan and I both were like, "WHOA...wait a minute!"

I have no real predictions at this point. I think all bets are off and the ending is probably gonna shock us all. Or, at least that's what I keep telling myself because I think I'll be disappointed if it doesn't end big, you know?

24. AimeeThomp

Yeah, I will too. Do you watch Talking Bad?

I am going to go watch that on demand right now and see if it answers any questions.

I did not notice the shot of hank and Marie behind bars. That's very interesting.

25. kingeomer

Oh God, Hank and Marie better not end up behind bars. I will have a temper tantrum that is bigger then any 2 year old. It will make my temper tantrum over the end of The Sopranos seem like I was slightly upset :laughing:
    I did not pick up on the behind bars thing.

The Brock poisoning. Yeah, you had to be paying attention. I really thought it was Gus Fring setting up Jesse to think it was Walt until they showed Walt throwing out the Lily of the Valley plant. It was really the other way around, a way to get Jesse turn against Gus and go with Walt's plan to eliminate him. Jesse knows that Walt was behind the poisoning because when Buell (Saul's bodyguard) lifted his pot and cell phone, he realized that Buell had lifted the ricin cigarette and Saul gave it back to Walt due to whatever reason Walt told Saul he needed it for. Saul had no idea about Brock. I thought it was a little to pat for Jesse to have such a light bulb moment in that manner, however, I figure the only thing that was going to break up Walt and Jesse was Brock-so something had to give.
    :blush: I like the idea of Jesse and Hank working together. I have a feeling that Jesse is going to surprise the living bejesus out of Hank and I don't think Hank will be calling him a junkie loser for long. Didn't Walt used to call Jesse a "junkie loser" in earlier seasons and when Jesse proved his worth, Walt was not saying that anymore? I think Hank is going to realize that he is going to have to work outside of the box to trap Walt. Whether or not it ultimately works in Hank's and Jesse's favor, well that remains to be seen. I know Hank and Gomez are working under the radar with Jesse, but how come they have not offered him the witness protection program? Or any legal representation that obviously not Saul? I'm just wondering if they used Jesse's testimony in court, would it hold up (even if he did get a conversation with Walt on tape)?

I really don't know how it's going to end up. I just want Jesse, Walt Jr. and Holly to make it out.

26. 4lilmonkeys

I guess I'm having the part with the light bulb moment for Jesse. In the beginning, I had no idea how Walt managed to poison Brock, but it came together for me when Jesse said it was Lily of the Valley because previously, Walt had been sitting out by the pool, spinning the gun on the table and when it stopped, it was pointing toward the plant.

I guess it's fair to assume that Jesse knows Walt well enough to know, but I wish it had been a slightly better connection process. I think you're right, though. Brock is the only thing that would break them apart, other than Jesse finding out that Walt let Jane die. That may be the final nail in Walt's coffin as far as Jesse is concerned.

I just know that there is NO way this show will be tied up in a pretty bow. I think the ending is gonna leave us stunned. Okay...I HOPE it will. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  27. AimeeThomp

I still think Walt Jr is going to die before the end.

28. Chrissy Nelson

I think something Crazy is going to happen. I think that Walt is going to end up losing everything and I do think that Walt Jr or Skylar is going to die.

29. Mama_Kim

I agree, Chrissy. I think it's going to blow up here soon. You can feel it coming.

Just want to say how much I love Marie's purple fixation. Loved the purple luggage!

30. Mama_Kim

Oh yeah. I forgot that Jesse doesn't know that. He'd kill Walt right then and there if he found that out.

31. Chrissy Nelson

Skylar might actually be the one that loses it.

Has anyone watched the new show on after Breaking Bad?

32. AimeeThomp

I was going to try watching it, but the first show is no longer available on demand. So I saw the second episode but was kind of lost. Is it any good?

33. Chrissy Nelson

I did not watch it. From the previews I could or figure out what it was about so I did not watch it.

34. kingeomer

FYI: Breaking Bad is the cover of next week's Entertainment Weekly, good story (that features some storylines that they thankfully rejected) and no spoilers for the end of the season.

35. Mama_Kim

I've never watched it either, Chrissy. I can't even think of the name of it now but I just asked Sean about it. Low Winter Sun. He said "it sucks." :lol:

I always watch The Newsroom after Breaking Bad.