Breakdown every time I try to change diapers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by veggiehead, Nov 15, 2007.

1. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

Hi,

My babies now have COMPLETE and TOTAL breakdowns every time I try to change their diapers, which is quite often! LOL I am sick of battling them...Does anyone have any tips to help ease the pain of it all? THANK YOU!!!

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We sing. Usually Itsy Bitsy Spider. If I can get their mind on something else, it helps. Also, talking about how I'm changing their diapers and then they get to do this other fun thing... particularly if only one feels like cooperating because he'll urge the other to cooperate.

3. minnieinafrica

minnieinafrica Well-Known Member

Yea, we are dealing with it here too. It has improved. Hopefully just a phase. I try to give them a toy to play with, sing a song, point and talk about the quilt above their changing table. And move fast!!!!

4. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's a phase that will pass but will return again, rest assured.

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cabonnell @ Nov 15 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]497275[/snapback]
    Unfortunately, it's a phase that will pass but will return again, rest assured.

Yep it's true. Try distraction or asking them questions like "where is mommy's nose?".

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I usually give them something unusual to play with - like a hair brush...

or with DS - I cover his winky with a wipe and he has a good time whipping the wipe off and giggling - ok so its childish but its a game to him and it keeps him from running off with a poopy butT!

7. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone! I guess it is a good workout for my upper body! LOL

8. HH996

HH996 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(veggiehead @ Nov 15 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]497619[/snapback]
    Thanks Everyone! I guess it is a good workout for my upper body! LOL

Singing the ABCs helps in our house.

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Singing, loudly!

It's a phase. If they get really wild and out of control I give them the Mommy Look and pin them down while telling them that when they hold still I'll change their diaper. They'll eventually lay still and let me do my thing.

10. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

They used to fight me during diaper changes and try to get away, and now they are bringing the diapers to me and laying down for me to change them, lol! At some point something just switched. They are proud that it is something they have learned how to do (like wiping their hands or using a fork).

11. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I got really got at the standing diaper change, since they never wanted to sit down, much less lie down! At some point, yes, they will revert to being helpful. Hang in there!

12. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I always use the changing table so that I have "more" control. I keep things up by their head to play with - comb, rings, etc. Oh, and be lightning fast at changing. That helps :)

13. Holly Wiebe

Holly Wiebe Well-Known Member

Definitely the standing diaper change. Have them look out the window, put a book on a low table, anything to help distract them.

Holly

14. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

I hated that stage - especially if I had to change diapers in someone else's house. :rolleyes:

Singing sometimes helped but nothing helped more than letting them hold something they never get to handle. I used to have little toys in the changing area just for diaper changes.